Help please

terrym041

Reaction score
I have a droid x with andriod 2.2 . And system version 2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.Us

I think I want to root my phone but all I really want is free hotspot service. Do I need to root to do this? And currently my phone is wanting me to install version 2.3.340.en.US
Should I install this or keep saying later. Help me please.

Dragoro

Reaction score
If ya want free tethering, yeah ya gotta root.

Im on 2.3 on my droid 2 and rooted and have free tethering. Not sure if you can root 2.3 on the droid x or not.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Accept the update, you can root afterwards. Use the manual procedures in the X hacking section or get a copy of z4Root.

OP
T

terrym041

Reaction score
Accept the update, you can root afterwards. Use the manual procedures in the X hacking section or get a copy of z4Root.

Thank you would you be kind enough to send me a link so i can get the right info. I am really sketchy about this. I am scared about messing my phone up.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can search "z4root" on Google and it will give you a download from XDA.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thank you would you be kind enough to send me a link so i can get the right info. I am really sketchy about this. I am scared about messing my phone up.

Well, accept the update first. After that you can get the a copy of z4Root from XDA developers. Install that and just press root permanently. I don't have a link for them. Just google that and z4Root and you'll find it.

I would advise that you read up on rooting so you at least have a general idea about what rooting is about. Here's a rooting guide: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/74980-droid-x-hacking-guide-s.html

Horch it

Reaction score

Well, accept the update first. After that you can get the a copy of z4Root from XDA developers. Install that and just press root permanently. I don't have a link for them. Just google that and z4Root and you'll find it.

I would advise that you read up on rooting so you at least have a general idea about what rooting is about. Here's a rooting guide: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/74980-droid-x-hacking-guide-s.html

I noticed you say "just press root permanently." I believe z4root as an option to reverse the z4root back to stock so one can OTA updates such as gingerbread if it becomes available for DX. Is is so and how does this jive with "permanent root"? TIA

motormadness

Reaction score
Go get Z4 by doing a Google search. It's the only way to go in my opinion.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I noticed you say "just press root permanently." I believe z4root as an option to reverse the z4root back to stock so one can OTA updates such as gingerbread if it becomes available for DX. Is is so and how does this jive with "permanent root"? TIA

Permanent root is actually just root. Temporary root is for phones that can stay rooted past a reboot. You will be able to unroot the permanent root with the app just fine.

tappin and a talkin

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I have a droid x with andriod 2.2 . And system version 2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.Us

I think I want to root my phone but all I really want is free hotspot service. Do I need to root to do this? And currently my phone is wanting me to install version 2.3.340.en.US
Should I install this or keep saying later. Help me please.
**Edited because I wasnt paying attention**

As far as the new OTA...I would install it. I have seen no issues on my phone since this was pushed a few days ago...YMMV.

Last edited:

Dragoro

Reaction score
z4root is no longer available at xda. You have to google and find it at a site that still has it up. I found a megaupload page that had it last night and rooted my droid2 with it.