Wireless Tether Unable to start??? DX <Version.2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US>

lave1189

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to posting threads so I'm not sure where I'm suppose to post this problem.

Anyway here is the deal; I have rooted my Droid X and have been using the wireless tether happily ever since until I updated my Droid X's system to < Version.2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US > I found this under "about phone" in the "settings" menu.

Since I have updated my Droid X the wireless tether has not been working. When I launch the app it will bring up the green wi/fi signal insignia and say, "push to start tethering" like it has in the past, but when I click it says, "unable to start tethering. Please try again!"

I'm a total noob when it comes to root and the purposes of it, however I can follow instructions well and can research like no other. Though my lack of knowledge does not keep me from thinking that the root is the real problem. I used the Droidxroot.zip (the software for windows that allows you to click "root me :)" and then time the blue-tooth toggle and cha ching you're done.) I did this before I updated the system to < Version.2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US > so I think if there is a fix it would be to un-root and then re-root.

If you have any idea what the problem maybe, or think I'm a tard for updating please let me know. If I should not have updated to keep the root I hope I will be able to downgrade.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
when you took the 2.2 update, you lost root. this is why you cant use wifi tether

Click ROOTED in my sig on how to root 2.2.

OP
L

lave1189

Reaction score
thanks

Sorry for posting a second thread. I wont do that in the future.

Anyway I looked at your guide to root. Looks very do-able, but would I get the same result if I just tried root again the same method I used last time? I'm a mac guy so I downloaded VMware Fusion and ran the one click droidxroot.zip program. The one you time the bluetooth toggle. Could I do this again and get my desired result?

Thanks for your patience.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
some methods will work for both but some wont and could cause issues.

the one that i linked you to is all done on the phone and very easy. just type everything in verbatim and ull have root. I also have a mac so .exe root programs dont work so i just did it all on my phone.