Rooting Advice for DROIDX

Gremke

Reaction score
I want to root my DROIDX and wanted advice in doing so. I have researched it thoroughly, but before I proceeded I wanted to get the best possible admonition before I continued. I am currently running Android 2.2 and System version Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Easiest thing in the world to do...if you use z4root and are patient.

Click the z4root link above and download the .apk file from MegaUpload, save it to your computer where you can find it easily.

Plug your phone in to your computer via USB and once the SD card is mounted, pull down the Notification Bar and tap the USB portion to open the USB Mode screen.

Select Mass Storage

Copy the downloaded .apk file from your PC to your SD card by way of Copy/Paste...perfectly fine to leave it directly in the root of the SD card or you can drop it into a folder like Downloads.

**(You can skip this USB part if you are using DropBox or Awesome Drop which allows WiFi file sharing)**

Now, you need to have some type of File Manager, such as Astro File Manager or Root Explorer in order to be able to do something with the .apk file you have.

Open whichever file manager you decide to use and navigate to the folder on your phone where you put the z4root.apk file.

Click the file and then Manage App...should pop up and ask you to Install File...do so. Once this is done, you should see where the phone says it is done installing the app.

Go to your App Drawer and scroll down to the z4root icon, click it and choose either Temp Root or Permanent Root(I suggest Perm, cant see a use for Temp)..click one or the other and then wait....

If it works the first time, it should take somewhere between 2-5 minutes to finish. If it takes longer than this and doesnt finish after 5-7 minutes, I suggest pulling the battery and trying again after booting the phone back up..it should work.

You will know when its done because the phone will reboot on its own. After you get root, I would suggest moving on to getting the tools together to make a nandroid back-up..search around here on DF and you will find numerous guides on doing this..

Good luck, and luckily, if anything goes sideways, there are plenty to help here on the forums.

**As with anything doing with rooting, you do so at the risk of breaking your device and voiding your warranty. I personally take no responsibility if anything occurs based on any information I have given...use at your own risk....)**