help. phone runs always. battery life sucks.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Why does it do this? I use my tablet for aviation charts and need the battery life to go back to normal.

ForumRunner_20121029_235143.png

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I should add more details. I was trying to type it on the tab with 5% left. It's been like this since the ics update (I'm stock). I can watch netflix for hours and it barely uses more battery. I am also on wifi only at home (where this happens and I notice it) always. I really need this to be reliable battery wise like it used to be as I use it as my primary source for charts when I'm flying.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I should add more details. I was trying to type it on the tab with 5% left. It's been like this since the ics update (I'm stock). I can watch netflix for hours and it barely uses more battery. I am also on wifi only at home (where this happens and I notice it) always. I really need this to be reliable battery wise like it used to be as I use it as my primary source for charts when I'm flying.

This sounds like the phone's meter is out of sync with the battery.

I suggest you use the phone until it warns of shut-down. Once you reach that point, charge it to full, then use it to the low battery warning and once again, charge to full. That should resolve the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
But how do I use the "phone"? It does it on standby and I don't exactly have time to baby sit it. It's a tablet, not a phone so I don't get it.
There has to be a reason why it's running all the time and using all the battery aside from a mistaken meter.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Z06_Mir said:
But how do I use the "phone"? It does it on standby and I don't exactly have time to baby sit it. It's a tablet, not a phone so I don't get it.
There has to be a reason why it's running all the time and using all the battery aside from a mistaken meter.

If the meter is not reporting the correct state of charge then it may say your tablet is at 5% charge when really it has 50% charge. You only have to do this procedure once every three months to fix the meter...Charge it to 100% while the tablet is off, then turn it on and use it till you get the low battery warning. Turn it off and charge to 100% again. Then you can use it as you normally would.

The reason it seems to be running all the time could be an app or process running in the background. Also if you keep Wi-Fi on or data on, then that will always run in the background. There are battery saving apps you can get that will automatically shut Wi-Fi and data off when screen is off, then turn it back on when you unlock your screen. Not sure about the galaxy tab but many phones/tablets have a stock app that will do that.

In system settings, go to battery. What does it list as using most of your battery? That may provide insight if you have an app/program running in the background.

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
It says that the phone uses all my battery. I had a screen shot attached but it's gone now. I'll watch some netflix later and try to get it to die. Unless I'm out flying I'm always on wifi so I know it's not a data issue.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Your screen shot shows 13 hours on battery. That may actually be a good battery life for the galaxy tab. I can't be sure, not having one. I know my thrive tablet gets excellent battery life but the battery is huge, heavy and designed for excellent battery.

That it shows phone as using battery could be nothing except the simple background processes the phone needs to function properly. It could be 100% normal and typical for the galaxy. You could install gsam battery monitor from play store, it will give you better specifics as to exactly what is using your battery.

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I must have posted the wrong shot. The only thing used was the phone and 1 minute of screen time. 1 minute. 13 hours of standby isn't so good for it, this just started when it got ICS. It used to be able to standby for days an days with some light usage.