Help me understand this Fascinate talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyingbrad

Reaction score
I'm a SERIOUS noob at all of this..
What does it mean to "flash?"
What exactly does clockworkmod do?! Why is it so beneficial to download new kernels?! Why would anyone need to "flash a voodoo?" (Basically what the hell is a voodoo)
What the heck is an ODIN? What are the exact workings of the adb? I used it in a step-by-step guide to rooting my phone, but besides that...that's as far as my knowledge goes on that topic.
It's almost a miracle that I've been able to root my phone, download terminal emulator, titanium backup, OCLF, and busybox installer.
Oh, and quite frankly there has been alot of controversy over TouchWiz...but hell my phone didn't even come with TouchWiz!
Thanks for the help :p

OP
F

Flyingbrad

Reaction score
...I hate to double post.. but really? NOBODY is going to help me? (Ironically with one of the most viewed forums)
This is the second time this happened to me on this forum..

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this is all based on what i know about motorola

flash is like installing - flashing a ROM is putting it onto your phone
clockworkmod is an alternate recovery used to install ROMs/themes and make nandroids (see link 2)
never heard of voodoo or ODIN but my sig also has a link for ADB (9)

joeybarclay

Reaction score
I might be completely wrong but i think that voodoo is a kernel that fixes the lag issues on Samsung devices.

RoLa

Reaction score
^^ Correct. Voodoo is a type of kernel that is supposed to help with lag, but I have heard there are better options. Odin is a utility/tool that you have to use to flash things to your phone from your computer. Although, there is no readme or anything that helps you understand the tool packaged with the download. For that, you'll have to search forums for info on how to use it. Usually though, if something needs to be flashed via Odin, the OP states what needs to happen with it and should provide instructional steps.
Touchwiz is like Htc's "Sense"(but not really;)) or Moto's "blur" (but not really;)) it allows you access to samsung packages like media sync and some others.

Odin

Project VooDoo

VooDoo Help thread

Touchwiz

mrdroid

Reaction score
All you need to know about Voodoo is DON'T USE IT. Voodoo is ported to the fascinate by "devs" that don't really understand what they are doing and it causes more harm than good.

Sent from my Galaxy S

garywojdan81

Reaction score
I beg to differ. The devs that ported voodoo know exactly what it does & how it does it, in my opinion. Where things breakdown is in the application of voodoo by the rest of us. It is very technique sensitive and unforgiving with any deviation from instructions during install or uninstall. That's not the devs fault, they all recommend thorough research by the user BEFORE applying ANYTHING.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

mrdroid

Reaction score
I beg to differ. The devs that ported voodoo know exactly what it does & how it does it, in my opinion. Where things breakdown is in the application of voodoo by the rest of us. It is very technique sensitive and unforgiving with any deviation from instructions during install or uninstall. That's not the devs fault, they all recommend thorough research by the user BEFORE applying ANYTHING.

Is that why Voodoo corrupts the filesystem on so many Fascinates yet doesn't on the native devices?

Sent from my Galaxy S

garywojdan81

Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of corrupting the file system, it has to restructure it from the samsung proprietary rfs format (which reads fine but lags on write operations) to the more android-standard ext4 which has more efficient write operations hence the "lag-fix" that speeds up the overall resource access of the os. The problems arise when compatability issues force the back & forth reconversion of the file structure in order to accomodate different roms & apps. The more you monkey with something the greater the chance of hosing it up.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
All you need to know about Voodoo is DON'T USE IT. Voodoo is ported to the fascinate by "devs" that don't really understand what they are doing and it causes more harm than good.

Sent from my Galaxy S

Its easy to talk big and criticize, its quite another to put your actions where your mouth is. If you can do a better job, lets see it.

By the way, jt1134, the dev who ported voodoo, works with supercurio on this stuff. Supercurio as well, is a regular in #samsung-fascinate irc channel.

I am only posting this because unlike jt1134, I am willing to lower myself to your level and reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.