What is different between Eclair & Froyo and how it affects Fascinate?

smokie11

Reaction score
I would like if posible to have an exchange of information about why 2.1 works on our phones and apparently 2.2 presents such a problem. This is not a thread about if or when it will happen, ok! I hope to learn what makes an update so difficult, right now it does not make sense to me based on my limited knowledge.

The speculation that I am aware of points to 2 problem areas:

1. Our phones use CDMA radio's as opposed to GSM.
2. The Samsung user interface Touchwiz or whatever is called.

In my limited understanding of the differences between 2.1 and 2.2 it is an improvevent of JIT compiler and the addition of a plug-in called Flash 10.1. If you already have existing code that handles the CDMA radio and the user interface; why such an insurmountable problem to add the Flash plug-in.

I am looking at the difference between 2.1 and 2.2 like the difference between Windows 3.0 & 3.1, not a brand new OS but merely an improvement over the same OS.

Ok, these are my opinions, now those of you that really know: please educate me. Thank you.:)

ziggy484

Reaction score
I think most people are thinking the same as me... that you could probably do a bit more searching and get all the answers your looking for. To explain it all to you would take like an hour to type.

Sent from my rooted Froyo Fascinate

OP
S

smokie11

Reaction score
I think most people are thinking the same as me... that you could probably do a bit more searching and get all the answers your looking for. To explain it all to you would take like an hour to type.

Well... thanks for the help, very Samsung like.

ziggy484

Reaction score

Well... thanks for the help, very Samsung like.

Hey no problem... but I dont think its just a Samsung thing, its a forum thing, put in a little effort with at least a couple of searches before starting a thread

OP
S

smokie11

Reaction score
Hey no problem... but I dont think its just a Samsung thing, its a forum thing, put in a little effort with at least a couple of searches before starting a thread

I think those that viewed and did not reply understood my question better than I realized, I was seeking information in an area that I have not seen much factual information, just speculation.

If you understood what I asked about, which is very, very specific and had an answer it could easily be done in a couple sentences or perhaps you could point me in the direction of a source that comments on what I asked.

I wasn't asking when will be get Froyo if ever...yes there are hundreds of threads in that regard.:)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The truth of the matter is no one knows why 2.2 hasn't been pushed to the Fascinate. Being CDMA or GSM shouldn't matter, nor Flash.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
S

smokie11

Reaction score
...Being CDMA or GSM shouldn't matter, nor Flash.

Sent from somewhere...

Thank you, those are exactly my thoughts, was hoping maybe someone that writes code could comment on a delay that makes no sense from the development side.

hoppermi

Reaction score
I agree with the above post. Use the leak. I doubt if "official Froyo" is ever coming. GB has already been leaked for galaxy S i9000. No point spending resources on Froyo anymore when they are already well into GB. I expect GB OTA not Froyo in the coming months.

OP
S

smokie11

Reaction score
I gave upon waiting. We are just going to root and customize it anyway so why not settle for the leaked version.

I am waiting for perhaps something that may never come...certainty that an update will not take place...then I will root.:)