Help me to upgrade to JB and keep Root

Vicious1

Reaction score
I've searched both the Razr and MAXX forums, and haven't really found a clear explanation for this.

I'm currently rooted using Matt's 1.8 utility. (Safestrap/VOODOO OTA Rootkeeper, etc installed)

So far I have:

Backed up my apps and files (Titanium Backup, MMS Backup, etc...)
I've made a Nandroid backup
I've downloaded the ZIP from Droid Life

I've looked on the forums, and see some people say using Rootkeeper allowed them to keep root, but I don't know how to use it.
Other posts talk about using Dan Rosenberg's utility Root achieved for JB OTA RAZR/MAXX XT912 (RAZR Blade)! - DroidRzr.com

So I'm confused, will Rookeeper work, and if so, what steps do I need to take to use it to keep root? Obviously I hit "Temp Unroot", but then I figure I'd FDR/Wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache. Install JB zip.

Do I need to then reinstall rootkeeper and just unroot through that? Is it automatic? and finally, does it save the "root" files to the internal SD card or is it something I need to move to my Ext SD card first.

Thanks in advance! You guys rock.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vicious1

Reaction score
Well took a stab at it, and failed.

I temp unrooted with OTA Rootkeeper.

Put the update on external SD card and booted into stock recovery. Should I have use Safestrap recovery instead?

Anyway, it began checking update package, and failed on verification for :

Verifying current system . . .
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/logwrapper", "f39fcb2d78b9392e9fbedc6a62a047dc23459416", "4a63fec78956def045b44910a754fa640db8f5a")
E: Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Any ideas?

OP
V

Vicious1

Reaction score
Well, used Matt's 1.82 Utility to go back to stock ICS 211 build. Now the update worked, but lost root.

Will try FAST Blade in Matts 1.90 utility to get root back. Hope it works.

Krenzy

Reaction score
I had no problem ungrading to JB without losing root and without temp unrooting; I also have Voodoo OTA.

diablo81588

Reaction score
The logwrapper error is caused by using third party recoveries like clockwork or safestrap. The only way to get the update installed is by using matts utility and flashing .211. You won't lose data by using it if you close out of the utility towards the end when it asks to wipe data. There's no other way around it unfortunately, even if you remove safestrap.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
V

Vicious1

Reaction score
Well got it to work by doing exactly that, using Matt's utility to go back to stock, unroot 211. Now on unlocked jelly bean and loving it, so much smoother.