I have an idea to root .621 droid x phones

HowardZ

Reaction score
I have an idea on how to root .621 droid x phones.

I have read that the people who have root used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper,
used it to save their root before the Verizon upgrade,
and after the upgrade did a OTA Rootkeeper restore of their root.

Now, I imagine that OTA Rootkeeper is saving this information on the SD card?
If so, then someone who saved their root files using OTA Rootkeeper
can transfer the saved folder from their SD card to a computer, zip it up, share it with everyone.
Then everyone can install OTA Rootkeeper and do a root restore function.

However, if OTA Rootkeeper does not store the backup root on the SD card, then
this idea will not work.

Howard

OP
H

HowardZ

Reaction score
if the OTA Rootkeeper backup is stored in the internal memory, and not the SD card,
then it would require removing and cloning and resoldering in the chip.

Years ago I used to do similar work chipping Volkswagen cars' engine computers.
It wasn't cheap to do, and always entailed the risk of damaging the engine computer.
This is beyond the capability of the average person.

gunner8168

Reaction score
Yea I think since you give it root access I might save it in the system folder and protects it while the update installs

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gunner8168

Reaction score
The problem with that is that you would be using stock recovery and any updated.zip file used there has to be digital signed by moto/vzw

x25064

Reaction score
I was under the impression .621 was already rooted? Pretty sure my dx with gingerbread is running liberty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

gunner8168

Reaction score
I was under the impression .621 was already rooted? Pretty sure my dx with gingerbread is running liberty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

The only way you can still have root on 4.5.621 was if you used voodoo OTA rootkeeper before taking the update

OP
H

HowardZ

Reaction score
Well, I only had root for one week before the 621 update came along.

I miss it :(

OP
H

HowardZ

Reaction score
What I am reading over at rootWiki is that they are trying SBFing to the European equivalent firmware - Milestone X. Same hardware but different firmware. So, they can root this as easily as we could before the 621 update.

Problem is that several peoples' phones aren't working right (making calls, data, 3G indicator, etc..) because it is not the firmware version to work on Verizon's networks. Of course it is fine for use in Europe, just not on Verizon in the USA.

The last I read was someone suggesting to follow the Milestone X SBF with the Verizon .602 SBF.
So, it might just be a matter of doing SBF two times, one for Milestone X, and second to Verizon .602
This might be the ticket to undo the .621 update, but need to wait and see if it works properly.

Still, one might lose their calendar appointments, apps, and other phone settings.

jmuwill

Reaction score
What I am reading over at rootWiki is that they are trying SBFing to the European equivalent firmware - Milestone X. Same hardware but different firmware. So, they can root this as easily as we could before the 621 update.

Problem is that several peoples' phones aren't working right (making calls, data, 3G indicator, etc..) because it is not the firmware version to work on Verizon's networks. Of course it is fine for use in Europe, just not on Verizon in the USA.

The last I read was someone suggesting to follow the Milestone X SBF with the Verizon .602 SBF.
So, it might just be a matter of doing SBF two times, one for Milestone X, and second to Verizon .602
This might be the ticket to undo the .621 update, but need to wait and see if it works properly.

Still, one might lose their calendar appointments, apps, and other phone settings.

I can confirm this does work (at least for me). I had a .621 that was not pre-rooted. I had to get an insurance replacement just before the .621 SOAK test and stupidly took the update without checking that it was no longer .605.

The key as noted in the rootzwiki article is to use the Linux sbf_flash utility because it does not overwrite the radios as RSD Lite does. So I used the Linux sbf_flash to flash Milestone X .604, ran the zergRush exploit, rebooted and just for kicks I ran a factory reset. When it booted back up I skipped the setup screen and was still rooted, connected to 3G, and ready to rock and roll.

OP
H

HowardZ

Reaction score
Yes, I am rooted.

SBF'd using LINUX the 604 Milestone X.
NEVER DO THIS USING PC - MUST BE DONE VIA LINUX.

Everything seems to work well - phone, texting, and 3G data.
This 604 Milestone X is Android operating system 2.3.5 which
is better/new than what comes with the verizon 621 update.
So, I plan to just keep on using a Milestone X phone.

The only problem is I experimented with trying to force a verizon 621 update onto the Milestone by modifying the build.prop file per red's posting. This resulted in an error message every few minutes that the update could not be updated - it is in an update loop. Tried many things to fix it, but in the end I purchased Titanium Backup Pro and froze the update app to stop the error messages.

Last edited:

cycole

Reaction score
Thanks, The above process work great!:hail::hail: I now have my Miui back :biggrin::biggrin:

tdbone1

Reaction score
i have a vzw droid-x and am stock with 4.5.605 (non-rooted or anything)
if i want to have the "newest rootable rom" would i flash to the european 4.5.604 then root it with zergrush?
if so would i be able to flash it from Windows 7 x64bit?
i know if you are 4.5.621 and want to root you have to flash 4.5.604 from linux but im not running 4.5.621 im still on 4.5.605 non-root
if i were to flash 4.5.604 from windows would i be able to flash 4.5.605 again i mean can i alterante sbf from .605 to .604 and vice-versa?

jwalz

Reaction score
i have a vzw droid-x and am stock with 4.5.605 (non-rooted or anything)
if i want to have the "newest rootable rom" would i flash to the european 4.5.604 then root it with zergrush?
if so would i be able to flash it from Windows 7 x64bit?
i know if you are 4.5.621 and want to root you have to flash 4.5.604 from linux but im not running 4.5.621 im still on 4.5.605 non-root
if i were to flash 4.5.604 from windows would i be able to flash 4.5.605 again i mean can i alterante sbf from .605 to .604 and vice-versa?
If you are on 605 then stay there and flash roms. The latest roms are ics based and you have to be on that to flash most of the newer roms

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk