Help me determine what phone I should buy /is right for me

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Android has evolved from just the Droid and eris being the only two choices to choose from. There are now a good variety of devices to choose from and some times people can get overwhelmed. My biggest concern are people who do not know about phones walk into vzw and a rep sells them a dx (ie) knowing that its basically at the end of its life. Now there is nothing wrong with buying a dx now for a bargain if that is what you want but do so after having all the info in front of you so you can make that choice. (I am aware that stores are selling the dx2 and have stopped selling the dx, I used that as an example). The other thing is when you check a forum out there are so many opinions on why this or that phone is the best. Well let me clear something up. You will never have the BEST phone because it stopped being the best the moment they announced it. Oems are always looking to improve and if you are chasing the best you will be broke. Find the best device for YOU.

Lets get started:

What is the most important feature for you in a phone. Example: a lot of us use our phones for work, I use engineering apps and basic things that I can get off the market along with keeping up with company mail (which my supervisor is cool enough to send it to my gmail instead of the company mail). Security for me is not high on my list. For a person who works at a company where they can not afford to have anything leaked or lost then a secure device will be very important for you. So the number 1 feature would have to be security along with the ability to handle clients abroad and the ability to use the device internationally. For this person the best android device for them would be the droid pro, best phone blackberry. So basically write down on a sheet of paper the top 5 most important features of a phone in order.

Example:
1) Having an unlocked device where I have complete control
2) Support for the device
3) Large screen
4) A decent camera
5) A clean phone (little to no bloatware)

The phones that meet my needs above . The Nexus meets all 5, Motorola razr meet 3/5, Thunderbolt meets 3.5 of the 5 (unlockable bootloader)

But lets break this down further for those new to android.

You hear people saying an unlocked bootloader is a must. Lets look at this for a minute. What is the importance of an unlocked device and who benefits from it. Majority of users will not need to concern themselves with an unlocked bootloader. The people who are mainly concerned will be developers and people who want the ability to change the kernel. Basically if you pick up your phone and you are yelling at the csr to leave your phone alone you dont need her/him to open the box and set it up/update it for you, and you are waiting to get home and root it so you can dig into it then you probably belong in the need an unlocked bootloader category. If you root only to remove bloatware and nothing else (in other words you dont really care or know much about rooting) then a secured device may be for you.

Dual core, single core, quad core, ti vs snapdragon vs etc, AHHHHHH IM comfused. Again people on these forums love comparing devices on what is best and what beats what. But in every day use it depends who have the device and what you are using it for. Example is LG makes a nice mid end phone for multiple carriers (Metro Pcs, Vzw, sprint, att, virgin mobile, cricket, etc)

Those devices specs wise will not be up there with a razr, or galaxy s2. But people with these devices swear by them. For an everyday phone that you mainly use for calls, texting, and maybe pandora every now and then the optimus handles that great. Will it handle multiple apps like a dual core device; no, but really not everybody is trying to listen to pandora, check emails, play angry bird, and keep up with social networking all at the same time. SO if you looking for just a phone to work as a phone, you mainly use internet at work or a netbook then this type of device may suit what you need.

High end, mid end, low end......who needs what:

Low end: Sorry kids but I got to keep it real. If you have a kid in elementary school -middle school and you want them to have a phone to call you when they are done with practice or for an emergency then either a free flip phone or a low-end android phone (so they can play games) would be perfect. Kids are going to be kids and they are going to lose stuff, drop stuff, spill something on it. So why hand them a 600 phone. NO matter how much they plead with you that they NEED a high end device they really dont. They have access to the market and many of the apps that work on high end devices works on low end devices as well.

Mid end: High schoolers (they want a high end phone they should get a job but that is my opinion), people on a budget, people who really will not use the features on a high end device. Like I said above many mid-end devices are performing well and are good everyday devices. Many of the mid-end devices now meet or exceed the specs of the og droid which was the king of android 2 years ago, and is still being used today.

High end: Really the people who buy these do so because they are android nuts and have to have the next cool specs or people who are always on the road and need those specs to watch videos while at the airport. High end android devices are not required or needed to get through the daily grind, infact mid end devices handle that just fine. The good thing about high end devices are their performance are at the peak of the game.

LTE vs 3g: Lte for vzw is blazing fast and when its not having maintenance issues its the best. With that said lte users will tell you that the bugs that come with lte may not be worth it especially considering we are paying more for our devices. If you watch a lot of videos, love watching nfl mobile, or streaming videos then lte is the way to go. If you can care less about all that or you in a situation where you have a computer at home, a computer at work and in between you are just making calls and texting then lte may not be as important to you.

Do I take the free phone that is near the end of life (my dx example from above) or go with the new technology: A few times on the forum I will see some one post that they are a new insert end of life phone user and they get people asking them why they do that. Well lets talk about this. If you have a smartphone you are going to pay for a data plan along with your voice and text. So if you are going to buy an older device should you just save your update and buy it off ebay/craigslist. Personally I would say yes but there is a con to that, if you buy a phone from ebay/craiglist it may not come with a warranty where as that same phone you buy from vzw will be warranted. So a person who really dont need the next greatest and is ok with a 6 -9 month device because it performs well enough for them and it meets their needs then a free phone may be a great deal for them. Yeah it may not get the next great android update but they may not care for that any way. They are just fine having the phone set up the way it is for the next 2 years. If you want the most value for the buck then look at which oem support their device, have the issues plaguing that device been resolved, those issues are important because you do not want to be stuck with a buggy device that the oem no longer supports.

SO what phone should I get: the phone that best fulfills your needs. If you are a person who takes a lot of pictures then make sure the device you get has a quality camera. If you are a blue collar worker then look for an industrial build phone or get an otterbox. If you work in a noisy environment then make sure the phone you purchase has loud enough speakers. So my point is dont chase after the best device, get the best device that meets your needs. If you purchase a nexus because you see a poll stating its the best and you dont care for vanilla look, or the plastic build then you will be disappointed. Heck even if after going through your list and you determine the iphone is the phone that best fit your needs then purchase that device so that you insure the money you paid for a device is worth it because it is meeting your needs.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was really about to give some advice and how subjective choosing a phone is before even coming into the thread, then I realized it was you pc:icon_eek:

Think I may provide this link to the noobies or people asking which phone to upgrade to

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Given we have 3 devices about to hit around christmas, and 5 that were released prior I can see how people may get overwhelmed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Given we have 3 devices about to hit around christmas, and 5 that were released prior I can see how people may get overwhelmed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Yup lot of good choices coming out. This will definitely help people making a decision

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bumping...........

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Nice write up pc. IMO people spend way too much time worrying about specs and not enough about what their own needs are.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice write up pc. IMO people spend way too much time worrying about specs and not enough about what their own needs are.

That is the truth. Specs change and get better on a daily basis. Heck look at motorola, both the bionic and the d3 just came out and we already have the razr and possible d4 with better specs (really just better screen). You would go crazy chasing specs. Unless you have a thunderbolt (which sadly I have), which turned out to be vzw lte test phone they knew had issues and used customers as guinea pigs, there is no real reason to dump an lte device now. They all are good devices. "But the Nexus is the device you must have it has ics", if you have a lte phone on vzw it will eventually get ics just like last year when phones got gb, and froyo. Decide what you need your phone to do and buy based on that. Especially now with tablets being on the scene, you can get a nice android tablet with nice specs, bigger screen, and will more than likely get updated to ics if its on HC.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's alot of good info there PC. I think that this would be a great addition to the front page for all Android owners.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Bump.

Alot of people asking "which phone" recently.

npro1464

Reaction score
I think a big problem, as you stated, is people being duped by VZ reps into buying outdated or bad phones. These people ultimately will get frustrated with Android in general and go to iPhone after their contract is up. I've seen too many LG Allys out there, and the people I knew that had them did in fact go to iPhone. My Uncle bought the Revolution when it came out, which was a phone at the time that, IMO, had no business being purchased by anyone (The tb and Charge are better phones and were similarly priced or cheaper).

This is why I urge even the simplest if users to invest in their phone, since they are going to be stuck with it for 2 years. But a lot of the time I have to learn to shut my mouth and bite my lip. It's really none of my business, and if in e end the user is happy with their phone (blissfully ignorant or not) then who the heck cares? And pc is right, most users won't care about s-off, locked bootloaders, Blur, sense, TouchWiz or ICS. With the phones out today, I think flashing kernels is becoming less and less important anyway. However, you can get a great deal on used phones, like the X and the Thunderbolt, phones I still would buy over the likes of a G'Zone or whatever Ally type phone is out now.

azules9780

Reaction score
This is a great write up and I completely agree with you. For me, I'm not sure what I'm going to get but all of my friends are telling me not to get a razr or rezound because I'll regret it. I'll make my decision based on what I want and if I "have to have" ICS, I'll just root whatever and put it on my phone. And in all seriousness, I'm not even sure if I'm going to stay with verizon; I may go to T-Mobile and get the samsung galaxy s2. Who knows, but what I do know, is that I'm gonna get whatever device I think is awesome, not everyone else's idea of awesome.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums