Help JB update!!!

Alexis_88

Reaction score
so I just received the update for a jelly bean but I am scared to update. should I go through with it or stay on ics? and will I lose root if I do update?

spadez2

Reaction score
If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade. Although I'm speaking from someone who uses the phone out-of-the-box, not rooted or any other special installations.

My phone is more or less an expensive paperweight since I've updated it. My text messages send only 50% of the time, my calls continuously drop, the new 'auto-correct' is completely bugged and cannot be fully deactivated... It seems they're in desperate need of an update/patch.

OP
A

Alexis_88

Reaction score
? ???
If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade. Although I'm speaking from someone who uses the phone out-of-the-box, not rooted or any other special installations.

My phone is more or less an expensive paperweight since I've updated it. My text messages send only 50% of the time, my calls continuously drop, the new 'auto-correct' is completely bugged and cannot be fully deactivated... It seems they're in desperate need of an update/patch.

SnglGrma

Reaction score

Its true...DO NOT UPGRADE!!!
The mapping of the keyboard is so messed up. The caps light dont work no more, the brightness of the screen dims then comes back on full speed without u knowing it...almost blinding to a point. You have to hold the shift button down to capitalize words. Then if you want to make a smilie face most the time it comes out like this >) ....you can not use the colon or semi colon.....at all! Auto-correct for words mess the words up, cant backspace in order to correct the mistakes, it makes things worse.

There is so much more wrong... battery life is 75 % worse then it was with ICE CREAM....i think that has to do with the GOOGLE GPS app.. my battery only lasts 4 hours max when i use my GPS FUNCTION.

IF YOU SWITCH FROM WI-FI TO 4G....CAREFUL THERE AGAIN, BECAUSE IT FIGHTS WITH EACH OTHER..AND DRAINS YOUR BATTERY EVEN MORE.

Motorola was told this during the soak and still pushed it out to the general public against the vote of the testers!

OP
A

Alexis_88

Reaction score
Its true...DO NOT UPGRADE!!!
The mapping of the keyboard is so messed up. The caps light dont work no more, the brightness of the screen dims then comes back on full speed without u knowing it...almost blinding to a point. You have to hold the shift button down to capitalize words. Then if you want to make a smilie face most the time it comes out like this >) ....you can not use the colon or semi colon.....at all! Auto-correct for words mess the words up, cant backspace in order to correct the mistakes, it makes things worse.

There is so much more wrong... battery life is 75 % worse then it was with ICE CREAM....i think that has to do with the GOOGLE GPS app.. my battery only lasts 4 hours max when i use my GPS FUNCTION.

IF YOU SWITCH FROM WI-FI TO 4G....CAREFUL THERE AGAIN, BECAUSE IT FIGHTS WITH EACH OTHER..AND DRAINS YOUR BATTERY EVEN MORE.

Motorola was told this during the soak and still pushed it out to the general public against the vote of the testers!

okay well I have a problem because I downloaded the update but didn't update it yet how do I erase the update from my system files because and 12 hours it will just update by itself

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Bumping this...let's try to keep her phone running..

-insert catchy phrase here-

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Bumping this...let's try to keep her phone running..

-insert catchy phrase here-

Hope you can, because we are all at a loss...yesterday I thought I had a fix for it, but today that fix does not work. Another person has downloaded a 3rd party keyboard app that seems to be working for them, but I refuse to do that because my keyboard worked flawlessly before jelly bean.

I can tell you that some stuff is good...like when I stay at HOME on MY WI-FI connection, I don't lose any battery life .....WHEN I AM NOT USING MY PHONE FOR ANYTHING. But if I turn off the Wi-Fi at HOME on my phone and try to use 4g...there goes my battery and Wi-Fi keeps trying to turn itself back on. In some applications, there are no problems....in others...there are 100's!

If she updates, she has to learn her phone and what works and what doesn't work. But if she uses her phone like a second office...sending professional emails and the like, she will get frustrated to the max! If she is a user just because...then she might be able to handle the glitches until something gets fixed....

Oh and let me tell you....there IS NO MORE TIMER ON THE PHONE....NOR CAN YOU PRINT FROM IT ANYMORE WITHOUT A 3RD PARTY APP.

But...you can tell Google now to set timer for 15 minutes from now...etc....and that sets flawlessly! And there seem to be a few good apps in the market for printing...although I have no use to print from my phone. I will just move the stuff to a PC and print from there.

If you do happen to update....BEFORE YOU DO.....MOVE ALL PHOTOS, DOCUMENTS ETC...that you want to keep to your computer via a USB connection....because I hear that the update deletes photos too! I can't vouch for this as I moved all my files prior to getting the push.

After the update...do a factory reset the next day SAVING NOTHING...and when it comes back up...DO NOT LET IT BRING IN anything it tells you it saved for you....even if you use your same log in....do it from scratch!

OP
A

Alexis_88

Reaction score
Hope you can, because we are all at a loss...yesterday I thought I had a fix for it, but today that fix does not work. Another person has downloaded a 3rd party keyboard app that seems to be working for them, but I refuse to do that because my keyboard worked flawlessly before jelly bean.

I can tell you that some stuff is good...like when I stay at HOME on MY WI-FI connection, I don't lose any battery life .....WHEN I AM NOT USING MY PHONE FOR ANYTHING. But if I turn off the Wi-Fi at HOME on my phone and try to use 4g...there goes my battery and Wi-Fi keeps trying to turn itself back on. In some applications, there are no problems....in others...there are 100's!

If she updates, she has to learn her phone and what works and what doesn't work. But if she uses her phone like a second office...sending professional emails and the like, she will get frustrated to the max! If she is a user just because...then she might be able to handle the glitches until something gets fixed....

Oh and let me tell you....there IS NO MORE TIMER ON THE PHONE....NOR CAN YOU PRINT FROM IT ANYMORE WITHOUT A 3RD PARTY APP.

But...you can tell Google now to set timer for 15 minutes from now...etc....and that sets flawlessly! And there seem to be a few good apps in the market for printing...although I have no use to print from my phone. I will just move the stuff to a PC and print from there.

If you do happen to update....BEFORE YOU DO.....MOVE ALL PHOTOS, DOCUMENTS ETC...that you want to keep to your computer via a USB connection....because I hear that the update deletes photos too! I can't vouch for this as I moved all my files prior to getting the push.

After the update...do a factory reset the next day SAVING NOTHING...and when it comes back up...DO NOT LET IT BRING IN anything it tells you it saved for you....even if you use your same log in....do it from scratch!

thanks so much I tried updating but it said update failed and this happen to me when I updated to Ice Cream Sandwich... so I'm going to hold off on updating for a while although I really would like Google now... so if I want to update I guess I have to do a factory reset before so.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
I can't set any of my music as either ringtones or alarms.

Try downloading and installing ringtones extended...from the play store...its free from what i see. Google / Motorola removed the ringtone function as well from Jelly Bean too!

kim4jerry

Reaction score
I finally signed up on here. If I had read this information first, I would have never installed the new update. I hate it!

SnglGrma

Reaction score
I finally signed up on here. If I had read this information first, I would have never installed the new update. I hate it!

Kim4jerry,
Move all your files you want to keep over to a computer via usb connection.
Once that is done, do a factory reset.
When you come back up verizon will ask you if you want to use what they saved....the answer is: NO!!!! Even if they show you your same email account. Still say NO! You then can sign in with the same email address if you want to, it will not....or is not supposed to bring saved objects down.
Now this does not fix the issues.....BUT...it will settle the phone down so you can learn the issues better and the walk arounds that some have used, to see if they work for you.
Also, when you do get up and running, immediately disable Chrome. Apparently this is part of the problem...so don't even try to use it until they fix it.

CheshireDragon

Reaction score
You will loose root, but can get it back. IF it does OTA and upgrade on you then I recommend the SBF Stock version(http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/list.php) as its functionality is better than the VzW OTA. However, to prevent it from OTAing, if you can get RootExplorer or some other file system to access the /system/app folder and change the names of a few of the .apk files to .bak or something then the update will fail and it won't bother you again.

gibson99

Reaction score
just got notification for update today. was starting to back up everything off my phone + SD card (plus a few apps that i DO NOT want the newest version of - thanks TiBu!)

but now i'm not so sure...

does anyone know if these issues have been fixed?

the version being presented to me ota is 98.72.18.en.US. it says it's already downloaded but it's prompting me to install or postpone for another 12 hours. i think i'll go rename some APKs (i'm already rooted) just to keep it from updating. right now i'm running stock ics (6.16.217), rooted. sure wish CM had the BT and camera stuff sorted so i could just go to that, but since i use the phone for work, and actually use my camera a lot (though i rarely use BT) i can't really go to that yet.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
does anyone know if these issues have been fixed? the version being presented to me ota is 98.72.18.en.US.

No, these issues have not been fixed. I carry a spare charger with me more now then ever before. When I am at home and on my wi-fi I have no real issues of not being on a charger and the battery lasting over 12 hours. But get me out in town, where there should be wi-fi signals all over the place and between the GPS, 4G, and Wi-fi connections fighting which one will be the boss... my battery drains within 4 hours of semi use (checking emails, bus schedule, an occasional web site)

The keyboard Caps Lock and Shift to me now are very minor as after awhile you will get used to changing the way you type on the phone, but I can't get used to worrying about how long my battery will last and whether or not I can find an outlet somewhere to charge up.

Update at your own decision.