****HELP**** Got new Bionic but can't RESTORE APPS/GAMES

Batman8

Reaction score
Please help. I just upgraded to the Bionic from my rooted Droid X. My Bionic is now rooted and I launch Titanium Backup so I can restore all apps and games but there is NOTHING showing up in TB to restore!!!! I had 834 apps and games that all appear to be GONE when I know they are still on my 32GB SD card.

What is going on?...Everyone said that bringing back all my apps was supposed to be straight forward and easy to do as long as I was rooted and using TB. SO WHERE IS EVERYTHING?? I tried "refreshing" the apps in TB 3 times and I also rebooted the phone twice. What am I missing?

PLEASE HELP!!!

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply SP120k, but I just figured it out. Wheeew. That scared me for a bit!

greengold

Reaction score
I would like to know too, as i cannot get to any of my apps or data from apps. Just got mine on saturday, and it is a great phone compared to my original droid, but what the hell! i should be able to drop in my sd card and see all my apps i have downloaded over the last 2 years right???

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Sorry to all for not getting back but this new phone...well you all know what I mean about a new toy like this. Anyways, what I did was look around in the preferences area of Titanium Backup and found an area call "Backup folder location" and after clicking on that you can scan the folders (most importantly ALL partitions of the Bionic). What you want to do is hit the "Detect" button and make sure to select "Whole device" which will obviously scan your whole device, so sit back because it could take a while, especially if you have a lot of apps, etc.

From there it will find your TB restore file and you just select it. However, the new problem is now that everything is back on my Bionic (just like I had it on my Droid X) NOTHING MUCH WORKS!!!!!! I'm sure the problem is the directory structure being different and so now all of my titles that have data folders won't run because those data folders are not in the same path! All I can think of to fix it is look at old backup to notice the paths of the folders I need and try to move them by connecting my Bionic to my Macbook. So all beware that there are DEFINITELY ISSUES when going from a DX to a Bionic. Right now it just lokks good, and surfs the new really fast. Does anyone have any idea on how to work with the partitions of the Bionic or just a fairly simple way to convert things over? each game is asking to re-download the data which is another option but then I lose all of my saves and I don't want to start EVERYTHING over! Any ideas? Thanks.

bplewis24

Reaction score
The issue is that the Bionic treats internal storage as /sdcard and it treats the SD card as /sdcard-ext, but installed apps default their file folders to the /sdcard path.

So, if you moved all of those files to your SD card from your computer, or put your SD card with all of the apps into the Bionic, they are in the path starting /sdcard-ext. But when you install TB (or Astro File Manager, in my case), it searches for the app data in the /sdcard path. You'll notice that folder (/sdcard/astro) will be empty and the other folder (/sdcard-ext/astro) will have all of your backed up stuff in it.

All I did was plug my Bionic up to my computer in USB Mass Storage mode and copy the folder from /sdcard-ext to /sdcard.

Brandon

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
The issue is that the Bionic treats internal storage as /sdcard and it treats the SD card as /sdcard-ext, but installed apps default their file folders to the /sdcard path.

So, if you moved all of those files to your SD card from your computer, or put your SD card with all of the apps into the Bionic, they are in the path starting /sdcard-ext. But when you install TB (or Astro File Manager, in my case), it searches for the app data in the /sdcard path. You'll notice that folder (/sdcard/astro) will be empty and the other folder (/sdcard-ext/astro) will have all of your backed up stuff in it.

All I did was plug my Bionic up to my computer in USB Mass Storage mode and copy the folder from /sdcard-ext to /sdcard.

Brandon

Thanks much bplewis24 for explaining the structure. I'll give that a try.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Hey bplewis24 how did you mount your phone (SD) and the other partition (SD-ext) at the same time via computer? I can only see both directories when using an app like "eFile" while on the phone, but the file folders are way too large to move via phone. When I mount the phone on my Mac via "USB Mass Storage" that is the only way I can see anything but it's only the SD card (SD-ext), I can't see the other in order to move the folders over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really glad to hear that a simply solution should work so I can completely enjoy this new Ruler of All Machines as they say.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Hey bplewis24 how did you mount your phone (SD) and the other partition (SD-ext) at the same time via computer? I can only see both directories when using an app like "eFile" while on the phone, but the file folders are way too large to move via phone. When I mount the phone on my Mac via "USB Mass Storage" that is the only way I can see anything but it's only the SD card (SD-ext), I can't see the other in order to move the folders over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really glad to hear that a simply solution should work so I can completely enjoy this new Ruler of All Machines as they say.

Well what typically happens is that the SDCard-EXT will pop up as removable storage device drive "J". Then after a few more seconds, the SDCard will pop up as removable storage device drive "K." I can open up both when I click on the drives and access all of the folders inside.

There have been a couple times where drive "K" will never pop up, and I have to unplug the phone and then plug it back in again.

You also have the option of using a file system application (like Astro File Manager) to open the folder on your phone and then copy it to the other directory. This is how I do it:

Apps>Astro File Manager>Navigate to /sdcard-ext>long press on the folder ("backups")>copy or move

Then press the "up" arrow to navigate back to /sdcard. Menu button, edit>paste.

Brandon

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Brandon! I actually had to do a "factory data reset" for my phone to recognize "both" volumes at the same time, as well as to get my data connection back (which disappeared and would not return even after talking to Verizon AND Motorola all morning).

Now after the reset however I can copy folders from one volume to the other but I am really pissed that I have to. This partition crap is killing me. I already miss the old days where your storage was just plain old :/SDcard and everything could always be found by the phone because there was only one area where things were kept!

I'm in the process of copying a bunch of data folders which is tons of info so I hope all apps and games work when finished and I hope not to run out of internal space!! I'm starting to miss my Droid-X.

Last edited: