Help for a newbie???

planeman09

Reaction score
Ok so I am new to this and I'm not completely sure what I'm doing? I have downloaded the newest update of CM9 and the Google apps to go with it but when I try to boot my phone with it it is stuck in the load screen. I waited 20 minutes then dropped the battery. After doing that I turned of safe start in safe strap and it booted normally. Not sure what I did wrong? I downloaded the "NEW" Update released 2012-03-16 from here Motorola Droid 3 – CyanogenMod – Downloads « Hash-of-Codes and then the gapps to go with CM9. I went into Safestrap backed up my phone put it in safe mode flashed the CM9 file then the gapps file rebooted by phone and got stuck in the load screen for twenty minutes. Can anyone help me? DoI need to wipe my phone for it to work properly? Did I install the wrong CM9 file? Using D3 with android 2.3.4 system version 5.6.890.XT862

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
First off...you might want to get the latest nightly as the March 16 ROM is pretty old.....

Also....after you have switched to safe enabled in safestrap, you want to do a factory reset /wipe data and also wipe davlik-cache under advanced. Then install the rom and then the gapps. Reboot and wait.

The latest nightly is
DROID3-CM9-06-05-UNOFFICIAL.zip05-Jun-2012 03:36137M (June 5th) and can be found at...

Index of /ROMs/solana/cm9

OP
P

planeman09

Reaction score
Ok so I wipe the data then flash the new nightly and then the gapps? Will wiping the data also wipe my CM9 zip I downloaded to the internal memory? Do I need to, over it to the external memory card?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
No it will not delete the cm9.zip from your /sdcard, wiping data/factory reset does not touch the /sdcard storage area (the internal /sdcard......user installed sdcards are /sdcard-ext...which it doesn't touch either).

Wipe Data/Factory Reset then wipe davlik-cache. Install ROM, install Gapps, reboot.

trmar10

Reaction score
I concur with tcrews on both points. Especially as I notoriously forget to wipe the cache and data areas. Definitely grab a newer ICS rom. I flashed the 06/03 nightlie of HashCode's and alot more features are working. Both cameras, and at least some of the hw video codecs (I could play some .mp4 video, but not all). Interestingly, the clock widget keeps failing, so I simply disabled and downloaded an alarm clock app. Nothing was a huge deal breaker, but I flashed back to stock (5.6.890) yesterday to manually perform the ota to 5.7.906, which was literally released the day I installed my first rom. I am hopeful it fixes alot of what is wrong with the stock D3, while still being able to safestrap new ICS roms.

Thomas
Current : Droid 3 5.7.906 + root (motofail) + safestrap
Retired: OG Droid + root

OP
P

planeman09

Reaction score
Ok so just wondering in case I don't like the ROM how would I go about flashing back to stock? Or could I just put it in non-safe mode like I did previously to fix it?

trmar10

Reaction score
You can either put it in non-safe mode, leave it in safe mode and do a restore via safestrap, or go completely stock and get rsdlite and the 5.6.890 sbf. RSD will require you to also clear cache and data, and even to re-authorize it with VZ. Last method was a last resort for me as I wound up "soft bricking" my D3. Every time I rebooted it went into the AP Fastboot screen. I reloaded the stock 5.6.890, manually did the OTA to 5.7.906, rooted via motofail method, and reinstalled softstrap.

As I see the latest Verizon patch (5.7.906 at 225MB, btw) still hasn't fixed my issues (my standard alarm clock "randomly" chooses to forget which alarm sound I set it to!), I'll be flashing a rom sooner rather than later. At least it was only LZ - The Song Remains the Same this morning... could have been any number of other songs much more obnoxious, lol!