HELP!!! Droid won't boot into recovery

strangeways

Reaction score
Please help ...My Droid unexpectedly rebooted and now goes past the "M" and then I see a "white box with small green Droid" as if it's going to load something. Then progress bar fills a third the way and then restarts the progress the bar again. I have pulled the battery to restart..tried holding X and power like I always do to get back to Clockwork Mod recovery but that does not work... no errors.. nothing. I am running the latest Bugless Beast ROM V0.5 :greendroid:

Thank You!!!!!!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
This is a new one. I wonder if for some reason the rom you have did not block the latest 2.2.1/FRG83D OTA update. I really don't have much to tell you for a solution, but my best answer for now is to make sure you keep your battery charged by having your phone plugged into the wall charger and not your PC.

I have briefly perused the above mentioned official update file and it does delete and replace your recovery image.

Last edited:
OP
strangeways

strangeways

Reaction score
This is a new one. I wonder if for some reason the rom you have did not block the latest 2.2.1/FRG83D OTA update. I really don't have much to tell you for a solution, but my best answer for now is to make sure you keep your battery charged by having your phone plugged into the wall charger and not your PC.

I have breifly perused the above mentioned official update file and it does delete and replace your recovery image.
Ok... I figured out what happened.. For whatever reason my recovery broke. I used RSDlite installed a new recovery (SPREcovery 99.3b) and rebooted. Voila.. My phone is back to normal. I then reinstalled CW mod recovery and reverted back to a better backup from yesterday.... Thanks for trying anyways.. I appreciate your help :)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Glad you got it going. I am still suspecting that for some reason the new OTA was trying to install.

scion676

Reaction score
I am now having the same issue with my Droid 1 and here is the background/events leading up to it:

- Currently running UD 2.0 (launcherpro) as ROM with ClockworkMod 2.5.0.1 recovery
- I recently tried to update Google's Voice Search app through the market but the installation failed repeatedly. I tried to uninstall the current version but that failed as well. I read online that I can force uninstall the app using Titanium backup so I went that route and it said it would reboot the phone in order to remove it from the system/app directory. Well I guess the phone didnt like that because now it is in a bootloop and I cannot figure out how to get it out. If I remove the batt and then put it back in, I get the M logo for 6 or 7 seconds then the little android with Triangle/Exclamation point like I'm flashing a ROM, the bar progresses 1/3 of the way and then just starts over. It continues to do this until I pull the battery again. Holding down X does nothing. I also tried plugging it into the computer but nothing comes up in RSDlite.

As I have an inoperable phone at this point, ANY IDEAS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL!!!

I make periodic backups so I am not concerned with the loss of information.

OP
strangeways

strangeways

Reaction score
Hey your recovery is broken.. Just like mine was...You need to boot to the bootloader to unbrick.. I know what you are missing with RSDLite.. If you have all the prereqs go to step 1

1. Run RSD Lite on the computer.
  2. Ensure that the USB cable is connecting the phone to the computer.
  3. Power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button for a while, and select Power off.
  4. Press and hold the Up key on the D-pad (Up as in towards the screen), and then turn on the phone by pressing the Power button to let Droid starts in bootloader mode.
  5. A screen looks like below should be displayed on screen:
    Battery ok
    OK to program
    Transfer Mode:
    USB
  6. In RSD Lite, the phone should be listed as “Connected”. Select the SPRecovery SBF file downloaded from link above, and click Start button. The Motorola Droid 2.1 phone will reboot automatically to bootloader mode, and start flashing the vulnerable recovery firmware. The process may take a while, and once the process is completed, the phone should start back up with RSD Lite showing a “Finished” and/or “PASS” status.
  7. Power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button for a while, and select Power off.
This is what I did to unbrick my phone..

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Gotta love UltimateDroid ROM's, dOoH! oOOpS! Not so ultimate IMHO. And not the first (or second or third or fourth or fifth or sixth or seventh, well you get it) time I've seen this happen with this dev's rom.

Yes, this was sort of a bad post for me, but I just couldn't help it . . . . .

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Gotta love UltimateDroid ROM's, dOoH! oOOpS! Not so ultimate IMHO. And not the first (or second or third or fourth or fifth or sixth or seventh, well you get it) time I've seen this happen with this dev's rom.

Yes, this was sort of a bad post for me, but I just couldn't help it . . . . .

First poster is running Bugless Beast (which is basically stock). I think it might be a recovery problem

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yes, you are correct, however the OP in this thread already fixed his problem. I was responding to the next, scion.

I had more, but I won't, nothing to do with you, just MHO about some roms.

OP
strangeways

strangeways

Reaction score
I've tried UD roms.. they were great a year ago.. Now.. bleh.. not so much. They just look pretty sharp.

scion676

Reaction score
Hey your recovery is broken.. Just like mine was...You need to boot to the bootloader to unbrick.. I know what you are missing with RSDLite.. If you have all the prereqs go to step 1

1. Run RSD Lite on the computer.
  2. Ensure that the USB cable is connecting the phone to the computer.
  3. Power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button for a while, and select Power off.
  4. Press and hold the Up key on the D-pad (Up as in towards the screen), and then turn on the phone by pressing the Power button to let Droid starts in bootloader mode.
  5. A screen looks like below should be displayed on screen:
    Battery ok
    OK to program
    Transfer Mode:
    USB
  6. In RSD Lite, the phone should be listed as “Connected”. Select the SPRecovery SBF file downloaded from link above, and click Start button. The Motorola Droid 2.1 phone will reboot automatically to bootloader mode, and start flashing the vulnerable recovery firmware. The process may take a while, and once the process is completed, the phone should start back up with RSD Lite showing a “Finished” and/or “PASS” status.
  7. Power off the phone by pressing and holding the Power button for a while, and select Power off.
This is what I did to unbrick my phone..

Yup, worked like a charm.... Thanks for the detailed instructions! Much appreciated.

-Scion