Help: Droid 1; processor gets hot, drains battery fast (just sitting idle)

AIminiS10

Reaction score
I searched but found no answers.

This started about 2 weeks ago. I have a D1; sitting on desk with nothing running, the processor area gets real warm. Kills extended battery by 4 PM with no use.

I took it to VZW (out of warranty period) and did a hard reset. I installed 0 apps on the phone to see if it would fix the issue. No luck. We decided it was a hardware issue because I tried my original battery instead of the extended battery in case it was some type of battery failure. Same thing.

Today: bought a friends D1 from since she left VZW. I put my battery in since it was charged and activated the phone. Same problem. I tried her original battery after charging it and same problem.

It is getting warm similar if you are overclocking it or playing games on the phone.

Also; non-rooted. All stock

Ideas???

Thanks,
Jeremy

OP
A

AIminiS10

Reaction score
yes, original charger. It is always a little warm during charging, but never stays hot like it does now. Nothing changed on the phone.

I am not sure how to tell if it is a bad battery or not. I have tried 3 batteries and all the same way.

It just blows my mind that 2 phones do the same thing with no previous issues on either.

Anyone know how to test a battery or where to get it tested?

B

bthomp21

i would honestly take it to the store and see what they say

OP
A

AIminiS10

Reaction score
I have twice now. The second time they said it seems like a hardware failure. I bought another D1 from a friend that worked fine. The issue followed to the new phone. Used old battery so I am wondering if a bad battery. I thought it was that, but I put her old battery which was fine and still issue is present. I have no clue.....

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Maybe reception is such that it is ALWAYS looking for a signal?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I know this is not the same phone, but i leave the radios enabled when at work, and inside the building there is absolutely no reception. My phone never feels more warm than normal.

Just throwing it out there...

OP
A

AIminiS10

Reaction score
Reception is 3-4 bars like always. Sitting here at my desk the signal strength is around -76 dBm 0 asu. I don't think it is a reception issue.

I am currently running it without the SD card installed because that is the other thing that I put in the new phone. I am hoping that it is something wrong with the SD card. So far it seems a little better, but I will wait to see how the battery holds up. The battery doesn't seem to be draining as fast.

OP
A

AIminiS10

Reaction score
yes I have checked that many times. it is as follows:

display: 39%
android OS: 21%
phone idle: 10%
cell standy: 9%
android system: 8%
email: 7%
messaging: 3%
dialer: 2%
weatherbug: 2%
com.android.launcher: 2%

I personally think the android OS at 21% for standby and not being used is kind of high, but I never paid attention to it before the problem.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Call technical support and tell them you think you have a defective device. Tell them basically what you telling us that the phone is getting hot and draining the battery faster than usual. Also tell them you are concerned with how hot its getting at room temperature. If you have been paying that 7 dollars a month for extended warranty they will send you a refurb.

OP
A

AIminiS10

Reaction score
Call technical support and tell them you think you have a defective device. Tell them basically what you telling us that the phone is getting hot and draining the battery faster than usual. Also tell them you are concerned with how hot its getting at room temperature. If you have been paying that 7 dollars a month for extended warranty they will send you a refurb.

I will give that a try. I do not have the extended warranty, but I will call anyway.

Thanks,
Jeremy

myork

Reaction score
Something is up

Same thing happened to be beginning on Feb 11th.
I brought it to the store, got a new battery and reset my phone.
Other family members also have a D1 and began having the same problem on the same day.
Today I am testing disallowing applications from sync, send and receive data at any time.
Settings/accounts & sync/Background data

see this link too
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/squidlymandingo/127764-overheating-when-idle.html