hello - technophobe having trouble tethering

andy2009

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a new Samsung Galaxy S2. I'm not brilliant with technology so Ithink I'll be on here a lot and hope people can help out.

I've got a laptop running Windows XP and I'm trying to use my new phone as a wifi hotspot. I've installed drivers for the phone (Samsung USB driver for mobile phones) and have installed Kies.

I've read that I need to install tetherxp.inf file. I've downloaded it but I can't seem to get any futher. When I plug my phone in now it doesn't come up with the "found new hardware" like i did the first time (because I've already installed the USB driver?).

My laptop does find the S2 wireless however. If I set the setting to "open" then I can launch Google chrome on the laptop but it won't connect to the internet.

The settings for the S2 have either "open" or "WPA2 PSK". When I try changing the settings on the laptop for the wireless connection, I can get WPA but now WPA2 - does that make any difference?

Sorry for rambling on, but I don't want to keep the phone unless I can tether and I've only got 6 days before I can return it.

Thanks for any help

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I didn't realize the SG2 was out yet...

Are you using the built in mobile hotspot?

sent from my ApeX

OP
A

andy2009

Reaction score
Welcome. I didn't realize the SG2 was out yet...

Are you using the built in mobile hotspot?

sent from my ApeX

It is in the UK!

I am trying to use the mobile wifi so that I can use tethering. Also, my laptop does connect to the phone, but i can't seem to use USB tethering either.