Native USB Tether - Anyone? Having possible driver issues...

JaBr1884

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm having the same experience with my RAZR as with my Bionic. I plug the phone into my PC via USB, then go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Tether & Mobile Hotspot > USB tethering. My Win7 PC then installs drivers automatically, yet my connection sticks on "Identifying..." and never works (can't assign IP?) I've installed motorola's USB drivers, and tried without them installed, and have run out of ideas. While "Identifying" the network, my network windows freeze and can't be closed until I unplug the RAZR. Google has been of no help.

I've read over and over how Bionic owners simply plug the phone in, enable the native USB tether, let windows install the drivers, and it simply works... Can you guys share your experiences with this native usb tether, especially if you have/ have had the same issue?

Thanks,
Jason

jlloydf13

Reaction score
Won't recognize USB

I am having same or similar issue, trying to find an answer on this forum...at first it did work. On my work cpu, plugged in, USB icon popped up in upper left of phone, gave me options of PC Sync, Charge only, and a couple others. Worked the first time in my home cpu, now it won't recognize USB plug. Plug it in, no icon comes up, no way (or can't find a way) to switch from PC, to charge only, etc.
Doesn't charge on USB either...gets crazy hot, but won't charge.
Trying to move music directly onto phone but can't find the USB options!!!!!

cbreze

Reaction score
Have you tried it in "mass storage" mode? Don't have a razr, but had this issue with another android device. Just a suggestion.

OP
J

JaBr1884

Reaction score
I am having same or similar issue, trying to find an answer on this forum...at first it did work. On my work cpu, plugged in, USB icon popped up in upper left of phone, gave me options of PC Sync, Charge only, and a couple others. Worked the first time in my home cpu, now it won't recognize USB plug. Plug it in, no icon comes up, no way (or can't find a way) to switch from PC, to charge only, etc.
Doesn't charge on USB either...gets crazy hot, but won't charge.
Trying to move music directly onto phone but can't find the USB options!!!!!

That's very odd that your phone doesn't recognize or prompt when you plug it into a PC. Does it happen to every PC you plug your phone in to? If you are not using the included motorola usb, that could be the issues, others you could try installing moto usb drivers on the PC with the issue.
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

jlloydf13

Reaction score
Fixed it...The Hard Way

I am pretty certain it is NOT the cables/USB (and not the drivers either). I got mine fixed by reformatting my phone. I did try reinstalling drivers on my personal CPU, didn't help. It worked initially on my newer work CPU so i'm sure at LEAST that one had the right drivers.

Why not the cable:
1- Cables are just wires- strictly a physical connection? Could probably McGyver a fan cord to work.
2- the cables (both) worked initially, on both cpu's, then quit working- on both cpu's. Had to be something in the phone.
3- I have only used Verizon branded cables, bought from Corporate Vzn Stores, including the one that came with phone. To say the one that comes with phone is better fit, would assume that Verizon pays attn when packaging to only include one type of cord vs another identical cord. SERIOUSLY doubt Verizon pays attn to that in kitting. They are both labeled identically.
4- After reformatting my phone, it now works with the same cables that wouldn't work before.

I'm not sure what might have broke my phone, but i have a few guesses, as i have not done anything complicated (for example Rooting)...these 3 things are the most Techy mods i made.
1- Smart Actions- I tried to get clever with different battery levels turning off various items. I may have activiated something that turned off (??dunno what???) when batter got low...same something may have turned it to PC only mode? like the opposite of charge mode? dunno- just listing Smart actions as one of the things i altered.
2- Apps- one of the first things i did was open the list of running apps draining my battery...immediate shock over all the CRAP running, so i tried to uninstall the ones that i hadn't seen on my old MotoDroid (weren't on the last one so shouldn't need them here right??? ha!). SOme of these programs weren't removable, so i Force Stopped them as that was the closest option. I did get an alert that said Forcing these to stop "May cause certain apps to behave poorly." ignored it and closed them anyway. Could very possibly have closed a driver that triggered the start of program necessary to recognze USB? Seems wierd/unlikely though as I had done that, THEN used USB which worked for a while...didn't kill any more apps before USB then started to not be recognized.
3- Motocast- I was trying to sync up Motocast when this all went wrong. Cable was working fine/visible, plugged into motocast and POOF! WOuldn't work. I dunno what might have happened here, but to me Motocast is flakey app and it was the only process i was in the middle of, so seems to have a correlation. Had lots of errors trying to connect it, can't delete the music, it just greys them out so you can't USE the stuff it kind of sees, and most importantly, can't use music that hasn't been downloaded direct to phone. I don't BUY a lot of music, but like to have enuff on my phone to get thru a flight....which is also where i couldn't use Motocast. I suspect something happened in my Motocast process- could have required an app i force closed, so a combination of 2 and 3 here???

After reformatting my phone to factory settings, (and not bothering to try re-re-installing drivers on either cpu) USB is recognized fine...so pretty certain its a phone/software/settings issue, not something HW'ish like cables. i have now set a few of the Suggested Smart Actions for battery life, will not be Force STopping any apps, and copied 5Gb of music directly to phone just like I would copy an old MS Office file. So far everything is working well.
If you have done similar things, and aren't too far into your new configuration/setup i'd suggest trying to reformat your phone. Be careful to back up files...i still have my old phone that works with WiFi, but when i reformatted, forgot i would (and did) lose all my texts, Gallery, etc.

amitydawn

Reaction score
I would like to know how to reinstall the driver. U install to your phone or computer? Have casio commando this has been hell. thank u. want to use easy tether Yesterday!!!

gurby22

Reaction score
Have you tried it in "mass storage" mode? Don't have a razr, but had this issue with another android device. Just a suggestion.

Nice, Thanks! This worked for me on my RazR! Had it on charge only mode and tried PC mode which didn't work. Thanks to you I can post this thank you message :biggrin: