Hello and question about e-mailing photos

Tegaor

Reaction score
Hi All,
have had my Droid since nov 6th. I only recently took a picture and tried to e-mail it. It seems to e-mail at maximum size. Is there a way to take a pic, and e-mail it sized down?

On a slightly related note, I did download the Motorola Media Link which was a godsend in terms of syncing my iTunes library into the Droid. When I synced the photos, it did so at maximum size. This means viewing photos is sluggish as it is dealing with photos that are 1 to 2 MB each. Any users experiencing this and/or have a workaround?
thanks!

romeov

Reaction score
Pull the slider menu out from the left when you are in camera mode, and there is an option to take pictures at email or MMS size. if you are looking to send your already taken large photos, download photoshop mobile or Picasa from the app store

OP
T

Tegaor

Reaction score
thanks, romeov.
I see options for picture size (5, 3, 2, mp), and picture quality (super fine, fine, normal). I don't see any options for e-mail or SMS.

Stigy

Reaction score
If you have unlimited messaging you could also MMS it to your email address.

Sending a picture via MMS will shrink it down to an appropriate MMS size.

OP
T

Tegaor

Reaction score
Thanks, Stigy,
yes, you are right. I sent a pic to myself via messaging and it shrunk the pic down to manageable size (from approx 1.5MB to 31k!!).

However, sending a picture to an e-mail address (since not everyone has MMS capability) is still a problem. Your work-around does succeed: send it to myself via MMS, then save the photo, then re-e-mail it to the recipient) but this is a huge pain.

I am hoping a future software upgrade allows the ability to shrink photos to e-mail manageable size!!!
-david

Stigy

Reaction score
No no no this is not what I meant.

I meant create an MMS with that photo and send it to THEIR email address. The phone will shrink the image down and send the message as an email to their email address. There is no need for you to send it to yourself to send it via email unless it NEEDS to come from your email address.

I would just have everyone add your [email protected] (or w/e picture messages come from) as a secondary email of yours.

OP
T

Tegaor

Reaction score
Hi Stigy,
OK, so it works. As you mentioned, recipients will receive a bizarre e-mail address unless they have it added to their contacts or address book. But a larger problem remains: It still does not shrink down to true e-mail size. I "shared" a photo on my Droid via MMS -- message said something to the effect that the image was too large and it was compressing -- so far so good. I sent it to the recipient (in this case my wife's Outlook express account) and it still ended up as larger than the screen itself, which made me have to scroll to see the entire picture. It wasn't megapixel huge, but it was not shrunk down to fit into a laptop screen. Guess this is still a work in progress? Thanks for your help and suggestions.
-david