haze over led and front camera on used maxx

control187

Reaction score
Good evening all, new to the forum. I just picked up a Max from Gazelle on eBay after owning a dx for several years. I notices something on my phone I wanted to ask about....

Periodically throughout the day I will notice a haze on the screen surface over the cutout areas for the led and the front camera. I am wondering if there is an issue. Maybe a bad screen seal, previous water damage, etc. Or if this is something others notice as well. Everything wipes clear with a cloth.

I am tempted to return it to gazelle and bid on another, even though the screen is in perfect cosmetic shape.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Just wanted to pop in to say I deleted your duplicate thread. Please only post threads once to avoid clutter on the boards. :)

As for your problem, it doesn't sound normal. Maybe wait for some other input.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
11months on my Maxx, and never seen anything like that.
Are you certain it is not a smudge from holding the phone to your ear?
Since you say it is in the "cutout" I assume you have a screen protector, which I don't have.

Last edited:
OP
C

control187

Reaction score
So sort about the dups, my app is doing weird junk.

No protector, but you can tell where each item is under the glass and the housing for each.

I will keep an eye on it to see if it happens more after I am talking on it.

Thanks.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I'm doubt trade it out.
It doesn't sound normal to me either.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, the haze is on the surface of the screen and wipes away copmletely with a cloth, correct? If that's the case, then it has nothing to do with anything wrong with the phone. Any haze or condensation UNDER the screen that would not wipe away would be an issue. This is just something getting on the surface of the phone. It's a different size and shape that your last phone (unless it was a Razr too) and it will contact your face/ear in a different spot on the phone. It may just be picking up normal skin oil that causes it. There maybe some residue on that part of the phone that is attracting dust/haze as well. You can very safely use photgraphic lens cleaner on a soft clean microfiber cloth to clean the area well and should remove any residue. Don't spray the phone directly, always apply the cleaner to the cloth and then clean the phone. Good luck.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, the haze is on the surface of the screen and wipes away copmletely with a cloth, correct? If that's the case, then it has nothing to do with anything wrong with the phone. Any haze or condensation UNDER the screen that would not wipe away would be an issue. This is just something getting on the surface of the phone. It's a different size and shape that your last phone (unless it was a Razr too) and it will contact your face/ear in a different spot on the phone. It may just be picking up normal skin oil that causes it. There maybe some residue on that part of the phone that is attracting dust/haze as well. You can very safely use photgraphic lens cleaner on a soft clean microfiber cloth to clean the area well and should remove any residue. Don't spray the phone directly, always apply the cleaner to the cloth and then clean the phone. Good luck.

The OP has me confused too with his stating that it wipes off... also he states that is is in the cutout around the led and camera lens, but tge Maxx has no cutout. It is all smooth so that's why I thought he has a screen protector.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry, don't know why but the above double posted. So this is to eliminate it.

Last edited:

Krenzy

Reaction score
Maybe I can offer my interpretation. I believe the cutout is either from a screen protector, or he is referring to the tiny square that the front camera sits in; when you look at it in certain lights you will see the tiny square and it is a different shade than the rest if the screen. If he has a screen protector, when wiping away oils and dust, the cutout area will look slightly different, both before and after cleaning, than the screen protector. I will say I noticed alot of build up on the camera area (I'm also using a screen protector), and it does have a milky look. It is normal, and as you've noticed will wipe away easily.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Stain from water damage or condensation?? ... glass cover separating from the digitizer? Pressing down when wiping it off would temporarily stick them back together again until it warms up and separates again.

David

OP
C

control187

Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts. To the post above about the camera, that is correct. And I think I have figured it out. The additional collection of oil and grime happens where the cutouts for a screen protector would be. I noticed it near the mic too. I am guessing the phone used to have a protector on it and the exposed parts have minor flaws that collect more stuff now than the rest.

To that end, slight pivot on topic. Does any one have a favorite screen protector? I used a Zagg before, but I haven't seen any good reviews across the board for the Maxx.

Thanks all!