Incredible 2, slight moisture damage=black thingie in the front camera lens?

lukaluka

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My first post here. I got a little liquid on the ear piece grill of my incredible 2 while putting on an invisible shield, I wiped it off as soon as it got on there, but apparently too late, since soon the front facing camera got foggy from the inside. I turned off the phone, took out the battery and let it dry for a day until the fog from the lens was gone. It works fine now, and there is no damage to the display, however there is a little black lip in the bottom of the front facing camera lens, I guess that's the LCD seal? I'm sure it wasn't there before, I even compared it to a brand new incredible 2 at a verizon store. Is it something to be alarmed about, do I have to learn how to live with it, or is there a way to fix it? I've had the phone only for 4 months. Also, I have noticed that there is a spec of dust under the screen now(not the screen protector, since I have removed it now and the spec of dust is still there) I wonder if it's related to that black thing in the lens, or is it a separate issue? Sorry, no picture since I do not have my macro camera at the moment. Also, sorry if I'm being a bit disorganized, I'm just worried about my phone. Thank you in advance for any input.

OP
L

lukaluka

Reaction score
Thanks, I will have someone look at the dust, but I'm still worried about the thing that's peeping into the front facing camera lens. I am afraid it can be a sign of some hidden damage?

ABQNM

Reaction score
As for the liquid damage, before going to Verizon, I would recommend you check the liquid damage indicators on the phone to be sure they are not activated. I do not know if there is an internal LDI as I have not taken mine apart, but if you remove the battery, there will be a little sticker above the SIM slot on the right edge of the battery compartment and also one on the end of the battery. It should be white with red lines crisscrossing it. If it is just pink or the red lines are bleeding in any way, you will likely have to go through insurance to get it replaced.

To that end, I prefer using SGPShield from Stylish people good partner as they are applied dry and IMO are the highest quality screen protectors available of the many brands I have tried and come off cleanly with no residue at all.

Good luck!

ABQNM

Reaction score
Also lukaluka, welcome to the forums!

OP
L

lukaluka

Reaction score
Thank you, ABQNM! The water indicators seem to be intact, but I'm afraid if the warranty tech finds some oxidation inside. I do not have insurance on my phone, so that's out of question. Any idea on how much I'm looking at if I decide to take it to an independent technician?

ABQNM

Reaction score
Thank you, ABQNM! The water indicators seem to be intact, but I'm afraid if the warranty tech finds some oxidation inside. I do not have insurance on my phone, so that's out of question. Any idea on how much I'm looking at if I decide to take it to an independent technician?

Not sure what a tech in your area would charge, but it looks as though it would not be too difficult to resolve (still requires removal of the motherboard, but at least it doesn't look like the digitizer (glass) needs to be removed to do it. Also what you are seeing in the front camera lens area is most likely the foam that surrounds the camera to prevent dust from getting in there through the earpiece speaker. It may have expanded when it got wet. If you look closely at the full size image in this teardown, you can see the foam around the opening of the camera lens. HTC Droid Incredible 2 Teardown & Repair

OP
L

lukaluka

Reaction score
Ok, I took it to verizon, they said dust is not a warranty issue, so I took the screwdriver to my phone to check out that thing in the camera. And indeed, it is the ring of foam around the lens. I tried to push it back, didnt get it perfect but its not bothering me anymore since I know it's not a big issue. Thank you very much for the support! By the way, it does have a water sensor on the inside, right next to the headphones jack. And voiding the warranty means I wont be sweating as much if I decide to root it.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Ok, I took it to verizon, they said dust is not a warranty issue, so I took the screwdriver to my phone to check out that thing in the camera. And indeed, it is the ring of foam around the lens. I tried to push it back, didnt get it perfect but its not bothering me anymore since I know it's not a big issue. Thank you very much for the support! By the way, it does have a water sensor on the inside, right next to the headphones jack. And voiding the warranty means I wont be sweating as much if I decide to root it.

Thanks for the location info on the internal water sensor and you're welcome for the help. I would have done the same thing if I couldn't warranty it lol. Just happy you got it resolved and no damage! Nice.