Having trouble choosing which phone to upgrade to

Haley

Reaction score
I'm currently eligible for an early uprgrade, and with all of the current and upcoming choices, I find it hard to make a decision.
It seems the galaxy nexus and droid razr are the two most buzzed about phones right now, and also the upcoming droid 4 (release date recently moved to february)
Right now I have the Droid 2, my first android, but my 3rd smartphone.
Price isn't a problem since I've been saving up for a while..

Keyboard: Since I currently have a physical keyboard, it would be kinda hard to go without one, but I'm not completely opposed. I have no problem typing on the virtual keyboard, I just don't like that the keyboard takes up half of the screen
Camera: I'm already used to 5.0 mega pixel, so I could really go either way.
Memory: All of these phones have a satisfactory memory.
Weight: Doesn't matter
Removable Battery: Removable battery only so I could purchase an extended battery, and keep it as a spare. But it's not a dealbreaker if it isn't removable.

Kinda lame the nexus doens't have visual voicemail or VZ navigator, but it's not like I wouldnt be able to DL something similar

So, what do you think? What would you choose?

Domestic violence

Reaction score
google voice for all your voicemail needs
google navigation in lieu of the (paid for) VZW navigator

TheOldFart

Reaction score
google voice for all your voicemail needs
google navigation in lieu of the (paid for) VZW navigator

Not having VZ navigator (and Vcast everything) would be a plus for all VZW smartphones.

To the OP, my choice for one of the current top phones and the Droid 4 would be the Rezound. While I would like a good physical keyboard, having a removable battery is more important to me and makes the RAZR and Droid 4 a no go for me. I just can't get excited about the Nexus and the Bionic seems to still have too many problems.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tough choices we have right now..all these current phones are nice in their own right. What I will do is try to directly answer some of the concerns you have. I have a RAZR.

I'm currently eligible for an early uprgrade, and with all of the current and upcoming choices, I find it hard to make a decision.
It seems the galaxy nexus and droid razr are the two most buzzed about phones right now, and also the upcoming droid 4 (release date recently moved to february)
Right now I have the Droid 2, my first android, but my 3rd smartphone.
Price isn't a problem since I've been saving up for a while..

Keyboard: Since I currently have a physical keyboard, it would be kinda hard to go without one, but I'm not completely opposed. I have no problem typing on the virtual keyboard, I just don't like that the keyboard takes up half of the screen

I didnt realize that about phones without a physical keyboard. And a few times it was irritating for me. So for that...Droid 4 is a good choice.

Camera: I'm already used to 5.0 mega pixel, so I could really go either way.

From what I've read over the past year.. mega pixels mean squat....lol. Its the hardware and/or software that makes or breaks a phone camera. Ppl that complained about the Bionic camera found using camera apps from the Market made it better.

Removable Battery: Removable battery only so I could purchase an extended battery, and keep it as a spare. But it's not a dealbreaker if it isn't removable.

Its not well known right now but the back can be removed from the RAZR rather easily. The question is what company will ever make a spare, extended battery for it? What I've come to realize....and need to apologize to some iPhone folks that I had debates with...external battery packs are really not that bad. Especially since they are getting smaller n smaller. Compared to the price I paid for one for my Droid 1....I get waaay more battery for about the same price or less with either the iTrent or Anker external batteries. The Anker is small enough to fit on a key chain. 5,000 mAh....vs. the 2,800 mAh I got for my D1. (For reference the battery in the RAZR comes is 1780 mAh's..) And almost $20 cheaper for the Anker. The iTrent is a lil bigger but you can get 9,000 and 11,000 mAh's for about the same price I paid for that 2,800 battery for my D1. No need to sacrifice form factor with different battery doors...No brainer IMO. And for my future phones that have removable batteries...I will still use the external batteries.

Kinda lame the nexus doens't have visual voicemail or VZ navigator, but it's not like I wouldnt be able to DL something similar

I saw this posted recently...and am kinda confused why some of you dont wanna use Google Maps? It has built in navigation, speaks to you turn by turn too. Updates recently to it added some more useful functions too. Cant really speak on Visual Voicemail cuz I dont use it.

IMO...the Bionic, RAZR, Rezound, Galaxy Nexus, and probably the Droid 4 will all be good phones. All have pros n cons. Updates have fixed some Bionic issues. The update to the RAZR the other day made some things better, for me and some ppl anyway...and I wasnt having any real problems. Of course as always sometimes updates can make things worse or add issues that werent there before. I think along with the Rezound the Bionic is a sleeper as far as being a nice device. (I hear some ppl say the Rezound is the sleeper good, great phone cuz the RAZR and G Nex is getting all the attention)

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score
If rooting, roms, and customization interests you at all, nexus is the easy answer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk