Which version of Droid for upgrade or wait?

gymangel812

Reaction score
I'm due for an upgrade. I currently have the env 3. I plan to use the phone for apps and the internet mostly. I don't make many phone calls (less than 20-30 min/day) and don't expect to use it a ton. i would like for it to have a great battery life and probably an actual keyboard (but not a necessity). what would be the best model? is there a model coming out soon i should consider? i keep hearing rumors about an iphone, should i wait for this (would i be waiting forever?? lol)?

also i have been reading about a tiered data plan, since i don't expect to be using it constantly, are chances most likely that the plan for me with be less than $30/month?

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
If say shoot for the droid x or wait till later this year for more choices me I'm waiting till next year to use my upgrade.

dbu

Reaction score
I'm due for an upgrade. I currently have the env 3. I plan to use the phone for apps and the internet mostly. I don't make many phone calls (less than 20-30 min/day) and don't expect to use it a ton. i would like for it to have a great battery life and probably an actual keyboard (but not a necessity). what would be the best model? is there a model coming out soon i should consider? i keep hearing rumors about an iphone, should i wait for this (would i be waiting forever?? lol)?

also i have been reading about a tiered data plan, since i don't expect to be using it constantly, are chances most likely that the plan for me with be less than $30/month?

It's really a matter of choice. Unless you are planning on rooting it then I would say whatever, just go up to the store and play with them. Me, I would wait since LTE is about to go live. As far as the data plan goes, get the unlimited while you can, you will more than likely be grandfathered in if they do go to tiered plans. You would be surprised at how fast you can chew up 2gb of data.

OP
G

gymangel812

Reaction score
i'm considering the upcoming droid pro, thoughts on that one? i might considering rooting, it looks interesting and would be nice to make it faster.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Overclocking isnt really necessary with the 1ghz phones.

OP, really you want to think about what DBU said. The new Verizon network s going live sometime in the near future, but we dont know exactly when. If you live in a major metro area, then that might be something you want to consider. If, like me, you live in Podunk, USA, then it might not be so big a concern in the immediate future. Any Droid phone will be a huge upgrade from the enV3.

I, personally, will be holding onto my November upgrade for at least 6 months, to see what Verizon does with their LTE network.

dbu

Reaction score
Overclocking isnt really necessary with the 1ghz phones.

OP, really you want to think about what DBU said. The new Verizon network s going live sometime in the near future, but we dont know exactly when. If you live in a major metro area, then that might be something you want to consider. If, like me, you live in Podunk, USA, then it might not be so big a concern in the immediate future. Any Droid phone will be a huge upgrade from the enV3.

I, personally, will be holding onto my November upgrade for at least 6 months, to see what Verizon does with their LTE network.

Where you @ LtKen? The LTE coverage looks pretty good, unless you're in one of the white areas.

verizon-lte-markets-600x336.jpg

By the way, I find it really funny that the entire state of North Dakota is covered...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm halfway between Bakersfield, CA and Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert. Basically halfway between LA and Vegas.

I was under the impression that the LTE coverage was the yellow cities, and the red was VZW's regular 3G Coverage. I'd love to be wrong on this one though... But, I think the launch will just be in the major metro areas, and those of us in nowheresville will see LTE a bit later.

Last edited:

Droid101

Reaction score
I'm halfway between Bakersfield, CA and Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert. Basically halfway between LA and Vegas.

I was under the impression that the LTE coverage was the yellow cities, and the red was VZW's regular 3G Coverage. I'd love to be wrong on this one though... But, I think the launch will just be in the major metro areas, and those of us in nowheresville will see LTE a bit later.

That is correct a city with a yellow circle denotes 4G the red denotes their 3G coverage area.

dbu

Reaction score

Uggh, my bad. Map key fail...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uggh, my bad. Map key fail...

No worries -- I was hoping you'd found a map that I hadnt seen.

Either way, OP, depending on where you live/spend most of your time, you'll have to decide what you want to do. Just remember, the newest thing is always just around the corner, so dont let that element of it alone stop you.

OP
G

gymangel812

Reaction score
i'm about 15 miles from one of the yellow circled cities. what would the LTE offer? how long would i have to wait? is there a phone i could get now or soon that would be compatible (or be updated to) with the LTE?