BB user wanting to upgrade

FmrBBuser

Reaction score
Here's the situation, I have an old bb and I'm available for an upgrade. I've been waiting on the bionic to be released. According to the rumors, verizon will implement the tiered data plan on July 7th and all existing customers with unlimited data plans will be grandfathered in. Does this include users on unlimited bb plans?? I spoke to 2 different reps today and of course neither could confirm the new plans and therefore couldn't answer my question.

What to do???

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I doubt your device would have any impact on whether or not you would be grandfathered. Unlimited plans can be had for all smartphones, so you should be good.

tkuligowski

Reaction score
I would like confirmation on this as well as the droid I ordered to get grandfathered in will not be here till after the 7th..My dad has a BB he's willing to let me use to activate to keep my unlimited plan but if it's going to be BB plan I want to know if I can switch to my droid next week and still have the unlimited plan since it will be after the 7th.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does this include users on unlimited bb plans??
If you're looking to switch to Android it really doesn't do any good to be grandfathered on a BB data plan. They'll force you to switch plans when you leave the BB.

tkuligowski

Reaction score
I called verizon last night and they said BB is still a smartphone so you won't be forced to switch plans if you grandfathered in with a blackberry phone.

Beka27

Reaction score
Everything I've seen/heard/read says that the BB data plan is different than standard smartphone unlimited. Maybe it's not. If you are okay "risking it" then that is your decision. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't risk it, but you are free to come to your own conclusions.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tkuligowski

Reaction score
I'm not ok with risking it...I called them and spent 30 min on the phone going over the same thing and expressing my worry about getting my droid phone I ordered July 8th, activating and being forced to change plans. Verizon says that a smartphone is a smartphone and it's same plan theirs just a provision that makes it named different. Does it seem odd? yes it does. I asked them to put a note in my account about this conversation because i don't want to get screwed on this.

Beka27

Reaction score
I hope that works out. How much credibility do they give to a "note" on an account? For example, if the policy changes, will the note be enough to allow a special exception on your behalf? I'll be curious to hear everyone's experiences post-July 6th.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tkuligowski

Reaction score
i don't know...the whole thing has me stressed out. i don't really know what to do besides go to verizon and buy a droid phone retail price and then return it once the phone i want arrives.

jleeusa

Reaction score
Search "motorola tweet" here in droid forums. The tweet says "smartphone". Not Android, not BB, not Windows, not even iOS. Smartphone.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tkuligowski

Reaction score
Search "motorola tweet" here in droid forums. The tweet says "smartphone". Not Android, not BB, not Windows, not even iOS. Smartphone.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

i did that..not sure what I'm looking for