Have not seen 4G once yet, and I live in a full LTE-covered area...

just4747

Reaction score
Pretty worried. I bought the GNex yesterday, got instructions to activate later. Got in my car and noticed a small scratch on the back bottom of the phone and a large piece of dust under the screen. So I went back in, had them return that one so I could re-buy a replacement one. Took a while bc they had to add my upgrade back but it worked fine. Bought the second GNex, got a NEW micro sim to use when I activate later.

So, went to work, called the activate number from my Droid X, entered the numbers it asked for. Last step was to put the sim in the new phone and boot up. Did that and I wasn't able to get any data for a good 10 minutes or so (although I read that from a few other ppl too here so not sure..). Finally picked up 3G, works fine for data and calls.

This was at 12:30 pm. Now, the next day, at 9:22 am Friday, I have not ONCE seen a 4G signal or even the "4G" word next to my bars on the phone. I work in Danbury, CT which does not currently have 4G coverage, but I live in Shelton which is fully covered (down to my exact address, I checked on the coverage search map). I have not seen it hit 4G one single time since being in town. I called the store and they guy told me that if there was an issue with the sim or activation, I wouldn't even be getting 3G (which works fine by the way so far...speed tests put it at about 1 Mb).

I also tried calling the activation number again from a different phone to try to reactivate it again or something, but it just transfers you to the automated response since the phones already activated. Also, a factory reset did nothing. I am rooted with an unlocked BL. Also tried removing the sim and battery, rebooting, checking data settings, the works..

What do you suggest I do? I really don't want to have to return the phone, as this one is defect-free otherwise, and it's hard to believe the phone is the issue. Is it still a possibility it's the sim even though I get 3G fine?? I haven't read one post saying that haven't gotten 4G AT ALL like me..

EDIT: My friend told me that with 4G, it really only switches to 4G when downloading/transferring data and then sticks at 3G otherwise, but I don't see 4G any times at all, ever.

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
Dude... we wanted this phone so bad and now it doesnt work... lol

Mine doesnt work at all.

We wanted them to release it... maybe they shouldnt have.

I am convinced its the Verizon 4g chips and network.

Creed

Reaction score
I think the problem is that you called the activation number, for 4g phones that can be bad! Never call the activation number on a 4g phone, the sims are atuo-activation sims.

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
I think the problem is that you called the activation number, for 4g phones that can be bad! Never call the activation number on a 4g phone, the sims are atuo-activation sims.

What do you mean? I followed the printed instructions. Didn't i have to call the 877 number from another phone first? The only thing in there that i tried and it didnt work is calling *228 from the Nexus, which failed. But then I read that you can't anyway.

Creed

Reaction score
What do you mean? I followed the printed instructions. Didn't i have to call the 877 number from another phone first? The only thing in there that i tried and it didnt work is calling *228 from the Nexus, which failed. But then I read that you can't anyway.

I did not have to but from what I understand calling the activation number is for 3g phones only so you may have activated a '3g' phone, or so Verizon thinks, causing the lack in 4g coverage.

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
So should I activate my Droid X again? Then after that, what is the correct procedure to activate the Nexus?? Wouldnt I have to do the same thing as before? I'm confused.

prowler85

Reaction score
Dude... we wanted this phone so bad and now it doesnt work... lol

Mine doesnt work at all.

We wanted them to release it... maybe they shouldnt have.

I am convinced its the Verizon 4g chips and network.

What do you mean it doesn't work at all? Mine has worked perfectly, 4g and all, not one problem. Can't imagine there is that much variation between phones. Could be different 4g issues around the country, but should switch to 3g. So what do you mean "not at all"?

Creed

Reaction score
So should I activate my Droid X again? Then after that, what is the correct procedure to activate the Nexus?? Wouldnt I have to do the same thing as before? I'm confused.

Factory Reset. If that does not work get a new sim and factory reset again and then put it in.

Snow02

Reaction score
*228 ruins sims. Go back to vzw and get a new one. Don't dial *228. Activation happens automatically. If you have issues, just reboot the phone after ten minutes or so.

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
Factory Reset. If that does not work get a new sim and factory reset again and then put it in.

I factory reset last night just to try and no different.

If I reactivate my Droid X (is that ok to do, going back to 3g phone from 4g phone..wont screw anything up right?), then what should I try exactly?

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
You're telling me that me trying *228 messed it up for good? When I tried, it only said could not call or something...how does that ruin anything?

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
The activation instructions literally said to dial that afterwards...so if it were that big of a deal would it really say it for 4g activations??

LuvMusic

Reaction score
In the Chicago area.....I have had nothing but 4g service on my Nexus since it was turned on. Device was activated at a VZW store.

vtnerd

Reaction score
If you have 4G, the phone will say 4G. It doesn't say 3G and then switch to 4G if you start going through data.

Are you sure you're in a 4G covered area?

My work is supposedly in the extended 4G area according to the map and I don't even have a single bar of 3G (I get about 110 kbps down).

Snow02

Reaction score
You're telling me that me trying *228 messed it up for good? When I tried, it only said could not call or something...how does that ruin anything?

It may be OK then. But yes, successfully calling *228 will ruin a sim. I don't know why.

Call vzw. They will get you sorted the quickest. Sometimes they need to force re provision your line to get it working. And they can double check that all of your account features are correct.