Switching from a 3G phone to Galaxy Nexus (or any other 4G LTE phone with a simcard)

TuxDude

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid X which doesn't have a SIM CARD.

I'm planning to get a Galaxy Nexus off ebay or craiglist or other source at the full price, since I dont wanna terminate my current contract.

I have the following doubts:

1. How easy it is to request a SIM card for the device from Verizon and get one to go with my new phone ? I assume my Galaxy Nexus cant be activated without a SIM card - is that right ?
2. I'm assuming my unlimited data plan would still remain even when going with a 4G phone. It doesn't affect my contract in any way - is that right ?

Has anyone done such a thing in the past ? Any issues especially in dealing with VZW I should be aware of ?

Thanks.

phillyphill39

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid X which doesn't have a SIM CARD.

I'm planning to get a Galaxy Nexus off ebay or craiglist or other source at the full price, since I dont wanna terminate my current contract.

I have the following doubts:

1. How easy it is to request a SIM card for the device from Verizon and get one to go with my new phone ? I assume my Galaxy Nexus cant be activated without a SIM card - is that right ?
2. I'm assuming my unlimited data plan would still remain even when going with a 4G phone. It doesn't affect my contract in any way - is that right ?

Has anyone done such a thing in the past ? Any issues especially in dealing with VZW I should be aware of ?

Thanks.

Its an easy process. i had a lte phone, went back to a non lte phone then went back to an lte phone. the old lte sim didn't work so i had to go to vzw to get a free one or i could get one mailed out to me.

Last edited:

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Just take it down to VZW, they'll hook you up with a sim card and you'll get to keep your current plan/unlimited data.

OP
TuxDude

TuxDude

Reaction score
I'm planning to switch between the phones quite often - do you think it might be a problem ?

I'd be trying out custom ROMs with the galaxy nexus and if on one morning the phone is not usable - I'll need to switch to the Droid X and get to my work :D