Have not seen 4G once yet, and I live in a full LTE-covered area...

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone ask him if he installed the 4.0.2 update yet?

I had no 4g until I installed that update, now 2-3 bars 4G since then.

Updated to 4.0.2 after activation yes. Also just tried talking to a verizon tech on the phone..he tried "refreshing my network settings" and i rebooted the phone, but no luck, still 3G. He said to go to the store in case they have to give a new sim. Also, he said the fact that i tried *228 but it didnt go through shouldnt have caused any harm but hes not sure.

Also, I unlocked the BL and rooted before activation, but that shouldnt matter.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Verizon fixed me... sim card was loose. Probably happened when I had to do a battery pull when rooting...

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
My activation instructions said this:

Dial 18778074646 from another phone.

You will be asked to enter mobile number, password, verify order number etc.

Charge your phone. If you are replacing a phone, turn off original phone.

Dial *228 from new wireless phone. Press 1 to program.

I did up to calling the 877 number, and at the end of the recording, it said to put sim in and boot up new phone and that was it.

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
OK, so just got back from Verizon. They took a look at a few things, couldnt make it work as-is. Also, the store itself is not in a great 4g area so they cant really even test there haha.

So, the guy got a new sim card out and programmed and activated it for me. He said to try it and if not, I'll have to go to the store I bought the phone since this was a kiosk in BJs.

I walk out and look at the phone and suddenly it's getting a very low 4G signal!! So it worked! Driving around town to get home I was in a few sports of 4G but never for more than a minute or two sadly. When I had 2 bars I did a quick speed test and got 10Mb up and 2 down, which is ok...but hey at least it works lol.

Unfortunately, at my apartment, even though the exact address shows full coverage all around it on the VZW site, I do not get it AT ALL here. Why would the map show such perfect coverage and I don't actually get it outside, inside, or nearby? That's just pathetic...is the map really that inaccurate?
I can't even utilize the stupid network at home.

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
Just4747... I had a severe problem with my phone yesterday and was screaming on the boards here along with you.

This morning I did a factory data reset and it FULLY CLEARED UP MY ISSUES with data and dropped 3g and 4g. Now the phone has very good signal and I am happy. Thank goodness cause I was worried at first.

Pulling battery and sim card did not help for more than a minute.

Factory data reset is the solution.

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
Just4747... I had a severe problem with my phone yesterday and was screaming on the boards here along with you.

This morning I did a factory data reset and it FULLY CLEARED UP MY ISSUES with data and dropped 3g and 4g. Now the phone has very good signal and I am happy. Thank goodness cause I was worried at first.

Pulling battery and sim card did not help for more than a minute.

Factory data reset is the solution.

I had tried that already but the new sim worked for me!

MrKleen

Reaction score
Good! At least there is an easy solution for this problem. Either a reset and reactivation or sim card.

At least its fixable.

Yes Dbol the factory data reset from settings..."backup and reset".

hollowbox

Reaction score
iwas getting 2 bars on the edge of a 4g area and get 3 or 4 in harrisburg pa......how do you tell what your getting up and down?

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
I am in the same boat - Full 4G coverage, and nothing but 3G. Had the phone less than 6 hours and I am already upset.

So despite that brief moment of thinking I had no issue anymore, I can now say that I still have the same problem as devildog. Basically same issue as before, but I now know that the phone is capable of getting 4G, even if for a brief minute in few places.

I, again, live in a fully covered area of LTE, yet I get no 4G at all, ever, not even for a second inside, outside, nearby, or even in almost any of the town.

In a parking lot today, I pulled the sim and battery for a few min, rebooted, and had full bars of 4G for about a few minutes, enough to test and get 8Mbps, but then suddenly, lost signal and went back to 3G. Haven't seen 4G again there or anywhere else once since. Why??

What is going on?? Is it my phone, the sim again, the network around here, some Nexuses in general..... it can't be LTE/the GNex overall since a lot of users have no issues.

Again, have already gotten the sim switched, done factory resets, done battery/sim pulls and reboots, toggled LTE/CDMA settings...pretty much everything. Am rooted with unlocked BL on 4.0.2.

What do I do?

Last edited:

MrKleen

Reaction score
So despite that brief moment of thinking I had no issue anymore, I can now say that I still have the same problem as devildog. Basically same issue as before, but I now know that the phone is capable of getting 4G, even if for a brief minute in few places.

I, again, live in a fully covered area of LTE, yet I get no 4G at all, ever, not even for a second inside, outside, nearby, or even in almost any of the town.

In a parking lot today, I pulled the sim and battery for a few min, rebooted, and had full bars of 4G for about a few minutes, enough to test and get 8Mbps, but then suddenly, lost signal and went back to 3G. Haven't seen 4G again there or anywhere else once since. Why??

What is going on?? Is it my phone, the sim again, the network around here, some Nexuses in general..... it can't be LTE/the GNex overall since a lot of users have no issues.

Again, have already gotten the sim switched, done factory resets, done battery/sim pulls and reboots, toggled LTE/CDMA settings...pretty much everything. Am rooted with unlocked BL on 4.0.2.

What do I do?

This sums up my experience perfectly. After swapping out my first phone today it is the same.

I feel they are all this way but most are blinded by wanting it for two months.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
This sums up my experience perfectly. After swapping out my first phone today it is the same.

I feel they are all this way but most are blinded by wanting it for two months.

Samehere to. At first I my data was dropping really bad. I switched the phone thinking it was the phone. But no go. Then switched sim cards which helped at first. At the Verizon corp store I was getting full bar 4g. Now, at my place I don't get any 4g at all. On my Rezound I would get 1-2 bars of 4g and it would stay like that. That is why I find it hard to believe that most of these people in here are not having connection problems and praising the phone. Since I have left the corp store and I have yet to see 4g at all. I rebooted, pulled the sim card and battery. And also did a factory and still no dice. I love the phone but that is my only problem with it and also the battery issue. I get 3g fine but whats the point of having a 4g phone if I can't even get a signal at all. And yes 4g has been in my area since Aug of this year. I might just take the phone back and get the Razr. I can't rely on WIFI as my 4g. I hope google fixes this issue very very soon.

kennyg23

Reaction score
I've hit max 4g a few times in Florida. When I bought my phone at best buy, the had 2 different SIM cards for some reason. Some were 4g LTE and others were just 4g. Not sure what the difference is, but maybe it's what is causing the problem with a few of you guys.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I called Samsung tech suoport and the guy told me they have received many calls about the issue. So i am sure they are aware.

I will give them till the end of the return period to fix it. I cant be stuck with this. Ill go back to my Thunderbolt that blew the Nexus signal away.