have IP4, coming back to android... Samsung Galaxy SIII v. Moto Droid Razr "M"

liguy257

Reaction score
going crazy as I try to decide on what phone to get now that my upgrade is here, lol. I think I have it narrowed down to the GSIII and the Moto Droid Razr "M". The reasons for this are: two friends have the GS and love it, and I've used it and love it also. Only reason I'm not pulling the trigger is the size--the thing is just too damn big (area-wise). I love the size of my iphone and it's a huge differece. So I went to the VZW store and looked around, and the Moto Droid Razr "M" is the perfect size and weight, and seems like a solid phone (and I believe it has the latest software as well). Only reason I'm not pulling the trigger on THAT ONE is because I've had bad experience with Motorola--I had the Droid 1 and it was the biggest POS ever made. STill, that was three years and many, many models ago so I don't know if they've stepped up their game.

So figured I'd see if the wonderful folks here have any non-biased thoughts. I'd especially love to hear from someone who had an iphone before and went to one of these phones, and their thoughts. The two people I know with the GS3 are women and carry the phone in their purse so the size of it doesn't bother them, but I'm a guy and I always have my phones in a belt clip hoslter in my pocket, like a beeper (back in the day).

If you have the Razr M (specifically), what are your thoughts on it? Happy with it? Hate it? etc

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The M is a solid phone. Moto is really known for its build quality. The SGS3 is a great phone, but might feel "flimsy" compared to any Moto phone currently out. Also check out the HD, I have the HD, and I love it. Solid phone.

Also, I did have the iPhone at one point, too small, for me.

OP
L

liguy257

Reaction score
The M is a solid phone. Moto is really known for its build quality. The SGS3 is a great phone, but might feel "flimsy" compared to any Moto phone currently out. Also check out the HD, I have the HD, and I love it. Solid phone.

Also, I did have the iPhone at one point, too small, for me.

Not into the HD or the MAXX--I liked the M specifically because of the size. But I had a Droid 1 and that thing was a disaster... do Moto phones actually work now? when I went from the Droid to the Iphone it was like night and day--everything actually worked. But I'm tired of Apple and their restrictions. And sick of looking at the UI, lol. Still, a phone that actually works will win out, so if Moto has dramatically increased their quality, i'll consider them again, I just don't want to get stuck with another brick.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ha, yes, if that last Moto you had was the OG Droid, than a new Moto will be a huge upgrade. The new Moto phones have come a long way. A long way. I think you'll like it a lot.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am however, a somewhat of a Moto fan boy lol but having played with a lot of Moto phones I know that some of the Moto phones have sucked pretty bad, the M and the HD series are a huge upgrade and great Moto phones.

OP
L

liguy257

Reaction score
I am however, a somewhat of a Moto fan boy lol but having played with a lot of Moto phones I know that some of the Moto phones have sucked pretty bad, the M and the HD series are a huge upgrade and great Moto phones.

haha... it does sound like you work for Motorola... Coincidentally I actually did work for them (not in the cell phone division) which was the only reason I went for the Droid1 in the first place. That experience definitely ruined my opinion of them. But I also had a KRZR for like a month once and everyone who had the OG RAZR knew what a piece of crap it was. I just don't have a lot of brand loyalty for them. I will say that the construction of the phone itself was solid, in that I dropped it a million times and it didn't break, so I'll give them credit there.

I did read through the CNET reviews and these new ones were highly rated by the site and the users who commented. The camera on the M is pretty much the biggest "con" on everyone's list, but I think I can sacrifice that if everything else fits my specs (size and performance). It's on sale at Walmart w/ a $100 giftcard, but for some reason they don't show the price. VZW has it online for $99, so I might end up doing that, and avoiding the impossibility of getting it at WM on black friday.

If anyone has any comparison of the M to a GS3, please share!

xtor

Reaction score
I think the gs3 is a better phone then the m, if you change go with a razr maxx hd, you'll be glad you did, imo

point of origin

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
The D1 was one of my favorite phones, infact mine is still ticking and I just passed it on to one of my kids.
I have found if you want to be able to make a phone call anytime you pick up your phone, go with moto.
Every Samsung phone that has been used in my house does a horrible job.