Have a droid x, still within 14 day return, worth it to get a thunderbolt?

Chuboogie

Reaction score
I got the TBolt, and exchanged it for the DX. I do not regret this decision at all, because I value battery life. I live in an area with 4G coverage, and I was getting about 4 hours of battery life with little to medium use (no video watching, or game playing). I had heard that 4G
was the cause of the poor battery life, and so I found a way to turn it off and use 3G only. Even with 3G coverage and my display at 30%, I could only get 6 or 7 hours of minimal to normal use. This was disappointing to me, and so I went to the verizon store to get a DX instead. The employees tried very hard to convince me to stick with the TBolt, and even claimed that the DX would have the same battery life. I stuck with my decision and got the DX, and I can safely say that i am getting at least double the battery life than I got with the TBolt on 4G.
Sent from my DROIDX

MrKleen

Reaction score
I went and got the Thunderbolt yesterday myself. I had the X and I really liked it, but the Thunderbolt is the way to go in my opinion. The battery life for me is the same as with my X... however some people don't. I think they got a bad phone. I took my phone off the charger last night around 9 in the evening and it did not die until about 6 this afternoon. Of course I was sleeping for 8 of those hours but I was playing with the phone like crazy the rest of the time. No tweaks to the phone or anything, simply stock and yes I'm in a 4g area. There are people saying they only get a few hours with theirs... and simply put they must have received a bad phone. They should simply take it back and exchange for a good one like mine.

I LOVE Sense ui compared to Blur hands down. HTC seems to be so much more polished... I don't know why Motorola did this to themselves. Add the fact that the bootloader has been opened and the T-Bolt is a no brainer.

4G is amazing if you are in and area that has it. Verizon told me I didn't have it but when I went to Best Buy their 4g coverage map said I did.... ? And I do...

Do what you like, but if you have the chance I would return it and get the T-Bolt, and I think you will regret it if you don't. I actually paid full price for mine ($599)

Hope you enjoy your new phone whatever you decide!

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Currently, I have a droid x rooted and apexed, all ready to go, but the thunderbolt just looks so tempting, should I give it a try? seeing as rooting and roms aren't widely available yet, does that change anything? or will the thunderbolt live up to droid x's reputation? especially with an unlocked bootloader.

We have 4G here in Atlanta, and let me tell you, LTE is the bomb. I have the DX and my girlfriend has the Thunderbolt. The other night she and I both went to speedtest.net and did the test... On 3G I got like 900k down and 600k up, which blows, but then again Verizon 3G is the slowest 3G out there, it isn't a whole lost faster than AT&T's Edge...

But her Thunderbolt was getting 22mbit down and 33mbit up! Here phone scored higher than my Comcast cable modem. I was very impressed.

jmorton10

Reaction score
That's funny as hell, two consecutive posts from actual T-Bolt owners.

One thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread & the other poster has already returned his.............

There is NO WAY all these users that are getting atrocious battery life (most of them) have defective phones....

~John

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it don't say Motorola, then its not a Droid. Keep the X.

jmorton10

Reaction score
If it don't say Motorola, then its not a Droid. Keep the X.

LOL, well said.

My last four phones where HTC brand & I can say without the slightest doubt that the DroidX is far higher quality build than ANY HTC phone.

~John

MrKleen

Reaction score

One thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread & the other poster has already returned his.............

There is NO WAY all these users that are getting atrocious battery life (most of them) have defective phones....

~John

Then why does my tbolt not die in 4 to 6 hours? Why is my tbolt fine?

I think some of these people are exaggerating when they say their phones are dying in 4 hours. I have had plenty of these phones ranging from the D1, D2, DX, and now the Thunderbolt and I can say the battery life with this phone is just as good as my X. If you choose not to believe me that is okay because I don't care :)

Choose whatever phone you like and base your opinion on your own experience because what other people say doesn't matter anyway!

BodyBagz

Reaction score

~John

I think some of these people are exaggerating when they say their phones are dying in 4 hours. I have had plenty of these phones ranging from the D1, D2, DX, and now the Thunderbolt and I can say the battery life with this phone is just as good as my X. If you choose not to believe me that is okay because I don't care :)

Choose whatever phone you like and base your opinion on your own experience because what other people say doesn't matter anyway!
So, are you saying that you routinely get 12-20 hours out of your stock TB with stock battery?

So far, all reports coming in suggest that the TB is getting basically the same battery life as its predecessor, the Droid Incredible...which is to say, far shorter life than the DX...

I truly hope that Devs can cobble something together to get the TB`s battery life to where my DX is at...and that is routinely in the 17-24 hour area with normal for me usage....

MrKleen

Reaction score

~John

So, are you saying that you routinely get 12-20 hours out of your stock TB with stock battery?

So far, all reports coming in suggest that the TB is getting basically the same battery life as its predecessor, the Droid Incredible...which is to say, far shorter life than the DX...

I truly hope that Devs can cobble something together to get the TB`s battery life to where my DX is at...and that is routinely in the 17-24 hour area with normal for me usage....

I am not going to argue with people that don't own the phone. I am happy and if you are happy that's all that matters :)

OP
D

Darkveld

Reaction score
I decided to get the thunderbolt, not bad so far, but battery life is horrible, good thing I am getting a portable battery charger

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
Well, I nabbed the DX when it first came out and lost it for the TB last week. Loved the X, but Im glad I swapped.

To each his own.

rudydroid

Reaction score
there's a good column in thursdays wall street journal, on the tech page by walt mossberg, about the t-bolt.
sorry, I don't have the link.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
Since people don't believe me about my battery life I took pictures this morning. I am going to breakfast and will post them later along with more examples.

It says since taking my phone off the charger and overnight I basically used no battery.

Snow02

Reaction score
there's a good column in thursdays wall street journal, on the tech page by walt mossberg, about the t-bolt.
sorry, I don't have the link.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Good column and walt mossberg only occasionally belong in the same sentence. I don't typically care for him.