Have a droid x, still within 14 day return, worth it to get a thunderbolt?

Darkveld

Reaction score
Currently, I have a droid x rooted and apexed, all ready to go, but the thunderbolt just looks so tempting, should I give it a try? seeing as rooting and roms aren't widely available yet, does that change anything? or will the thunderbolt live up to droid x's reputation? especially with an unlocked bootloader.

jonecat

Reaction score
Currently, I have a droid x rooted and apexed, all ready to go, but the thunderbolt just looks so tempting, should I give it a try? seeing as rooting and roms aren't widely available yet, does that change anything? or will the thunderbolt live up to droid x's reputation? especially with an unlocked bootloader.

You should take it back, at least I would if I was in your situation. I love my Droid X, but the Thunderbolt will be a lot better especially when it comes to custom ROMs. They may not have much now, but it will be much better than the X will ever be. Not too mention LTE is so fast!

The only fault I can see that the TB will have is battery life, but this will also get better when custom kernels start tweaking the voltage.

dbst

Reaction score
I think you would be better off to get the TB, if you don't mind paying the extra money

wired76

Reaction score
Thunder, Thunder, Thunderbolt!!! I love my X but if I could upgrade I would.

jmorton10

Reaction score
Return it for now & wait for the Bionic, that should be vastly superior to either the X or the t-bolt.

~John

chefb

Reaction score
Honestly.....this Guy at my job has it,and I have the x.....sorry but not that much of a difference! Yes when TB gets Rom and new kernals,etc..it will be nice.....buthe x is getting getting Gingerbread soon! And it does 12hrs standing on its head!. Really Ltd, front camera ....data and talk cute, but im waiting for the bionic. Its all abut duel core!

xier

Reaction score
Honestly.....this Guy at my job has it,and I have the x.....sorry but not that much of a difference! Yes when TB gets Rom and new kernals,etc..it will be nice.....buthe x is getting getting Gingerbread soon! And it does 12hrs standing on its head!. Really Ltd, front camera ....data and talk cute, but im waiting for the bionic. Its all abut duel core!

I don't know about you but my Dx gets sub 2mbits down while my TB gets on average 8 times more. Once you go lte. You can never go back.

Easy answer to the op ... return it and get the TB now and enjoy lte. Or wait until summer for the bionic and lte. Goodness and locked bootloader.

jonecat

Reaction score
I don't think dual core is going to be as big of an improvement as everyone is thinking. Yes it will crush the benchmarks, but in real world usage, It is usually better to have a faster single core than a dual core for the immediate future. This is mostly because the software needs to be written to support multiple threads and 99.9% of it does not and will not for quite some time.

It is just barely becoming common place on desktop machines and we have had multi core CPUs for 5+ years.

So as sexy as the Bionic looks, I don't think it will be the huge speed boost everyone is looking for. Look at the Atrix which almost the same phone as the Bionic and it is not that much faster than any other single core phone that is currently out there, real world or benchmark wise.

I think where we will see the biggest improvement in the future will come in Ice Cream when phones will be able to take advantage of hardware accelerated UI through the GPU. AOSP really needs to just focus on refining the code and getting more speed out of the software, we can only brute force it for so long.

But back to my point, mobile data is the biggest bottleneck the Droid X faces, and the TB solves that problem.

homeriv

Reaction score
Boy, I remember the first dual core processors for the pc. Good old pentium D. Thing ran hotter than the sun and consumed just as much energy. I hope the first dual cores for these phones aren't like that.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kingsway8605

Reaction score

What is more important to you, battery life or lte?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BodyBagz

Reaction score
My first question would be whether or not you are in an LTE coveraage area, or will be within the next few months?

If no, then why in the hell would you spend more money on a phone that really isnt that much better/different than the DX? Seems ridiculous to me...

jmorton10

Reaction score
Boy, I remember the first dual core processors for the pc. Good old pentium D. Thing ran hotter than the sun and consumed just as much energy.

LOL, I remember that quite well.

One dual core machine we built actually melted a warped spot on the side of the case before we put a Peltier cooler on it............

~John

Gritwater

Reaction score
If money isn't an issue.... then yeah....thunderbolt. but if money isn't an issue....the latest and greatest is always the answer.
I'll pick up a tb around the new year. I always like picking up things like phones about 8 months after release because unfortunatley...price does matter to me. But I'm not an e-millionare either and unfortunately still have mortgages on my e-mansion, yacht, and high performance sportscar to pay for so a thunderbolt isn't in the budget at its current price.... lol

texting and driving on my Droid X...thanks tapatalk

Last edited:

Gritwater

Reaction score
...and the battery life is like that on all droid phones....learn to manage it right and you'll be fine. Its all about your settings.

texting and driving on my Droid X...thanks tapatalk

OP
D

Darkveld

Reaction score
Yeah, my whole area is covered by 4g, that won't be problem, and im planning to get a portable charger so battery life shouldn't be a problem

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Last edited: