Hard case use not accounted for in D1 and D2 design

amn70

Reaction score
I brought this up because I just broke a tab on my clear hard case and looked at the tab and realized it is literally a couple of hairs thick. Definitely a weakness. Back to Ebay for another one.

So as most know this is the biggest problem it seems with the hard cases for the D1 and D2 are the front faceplates staying in place. Designing a front faceplate with clips strong enough to keep it in place is tough because the gap tolerances between the upper and lower parts of the phone are so narrow. The clips have to be so paper thin in order to hook under the top face of the phone that they are weak and break very easy. The cheap Ebay hard cases and to a point even the higher quality cases like the Body Glove suffer from these weak points.

Motorola should have designed the screen face with hard cases in mind. All they had to do was design notches in the 4 corner edges of the screen face to allow hard case face plates something substantial to grab onto. The hard case designers could then mold slightly larger more durable clip designs into their top plates to grab those notches. It really is a design flaw if you ask me that Motorola didn't account for this knowing many users will be putting hard cases on them.

Last edited:

tominabox1

Reaction score
I think it was designed to NOT have a case! The back is made to be basically scratch proof and the glass is recessed to avoid scratches too. I've had mine 8 months and it looks (almost) like new.

OP
A

amn70

Reaction score
I think it was designed to NOT have a case! The back is made to be basically scratch proof and the glass is recessed to avoid scratches too. I've had mine 8 months and it looks (almost) like new.

No I don't think they designed it with that in mind. They know that a good majority of users will use cases. I honestly believe they just simply don't take that into account during the design phase of phones casing. I truly feel its an oversight on their part. Four little grab points molded in along the edges of the screen frame wouldn't change the overall look but would solve the problem.

As for your phones condition. You've been super careful which is good but one drop on the concrete or rough surface and I guarantee you will have pits and/or scratches at the point of impact on the casing even if the Gorilla Glass survives.

Reaction score
motorola isnt making money on the cases other companies make and sell so why should they go out of their way and spend more money to make their phones more case friendly?

orangepeel

Reaction score

Not everyone uses their phone in the same kind of environment.
I won't be buying another slider phone because of the lack of good cases.I know 2 young boys at work that bought iphones because they had a better case selection...silly I know,but that's the way some people think.

Droid X Case

Reaction score
I brought this up because I just broke a tab on my clear hard case and looked at the tab and realized it is literally a couple of hairs thick. Definitely a weakness. Back to Ebay for another one.

So as most know this is the biggest problem it seems with the hard cases for the D1 and D2 are the front faceplates staying in place. Designing a front faceplate with clips strong enough to keep it in place is tough because the gap tolerances between the upper and lower parts of the phone are so narrow. The clips have to be so paper thin in order to hook under the top face of the phone that they are weak and break very easy. The cheap Ebay hard cases and to a point even the higher quality cases like the Body Glove suffer from these weak points.

Motorola should have designed the screen face with hard cases in mind. All they had to do was design notches in the 4 corner edges of the screen face to allow hard case face plates something substantial to grab onto. The hard case designers could then mold slightly larger more durable clip designs into their top plates to grab those notches. It really is a design flaw if you ask me that Motorola didn't account for this knowing many users will be putting hard cases on them.

dont use acrylic cases the plastic is brittle. Im designing phone cases and will avoid split cases cuz its just much harder.