Handcent Users - Weigh-in please...

billyk

Reaction score
I was a long-standing Handcent user on my old D1. There are some really good benefits of using Handcent over the stock message app on the Bionic. So, I finally broke-down and installed Handcent. But, there are some unusual behaviors, some of which have been observed by others.

- Double notification: I think I got this right by turning off the notification on my stock app.
- LED notification: I can't get any LED to light up, blink or display any color when a text is received. Any ideas (short of installing a different app!)?
- Account picture: when I save a picture of me in Handcent, it not only becomes set as my wallpaper (yikes!), but it does not display as me on my side of the "bubble conversation" when texting. Interestingly, If I text myself, the picture is associated with the text recipient (correct!) but it does not display next to me as the originator.

If anyone has solved the LED notification or account picture, please point me in the right direction.

Are there other big issues that I need to look out for when using Handcent on the Bionic?

Thanks!
-bk

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I went with ChompSMS on my Bionic, works way better than Handcent IMO

doctordoctor

Reaction score
so Chomp is better eh.. could you elaborate a bit why? Started using handcent too. not impressed. I don't text much so I see no advantage over the stock app. but am willing to try things out

cubssuck1908

Reaction score
You can customize everything in the app, from the fonts/color/size of everything. You can also customize the notifications and test them. That will let you know if the LED lights are working.

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
If you are getting double notifications you might need to turn notifications off in the stock text app. Go into messaging, the stock one, and turn off notifications.

catfisher

Reaction score
When I used Chomp it keep resetting to default display settings. I sent an email to the dev and never got a response. Now I am back to Handcent and still happy.

Under notification settings there is a way to turn off the LED function. Maybe it is turned off although I don't know why it would be.

Good luck.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

LOADIE

Reaction score
Been using Handcent from day one. It has all the customizable settings as well.
Turn off all notifications in stock app to avoid doubles. Lcd can be customized over all or by individual contacts in notification settings

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Once LED function was turned off and then on again, it now works. Nice to have a different colored LED notification for texts.

Double sound notification did not go away immediately after turning off notification of the stock app. It continued for a handful of texts, then stopped. Weird.

I still can't get my picture to display on my side of the bubble conversation - but I can live with that.

Otherwise, Handcent is working as well as it always did on my D1.

Mmracing

Reaction score
No problem here with Handcent SMS on my Bionic (came from the original Droid). Turned off the notification in the stock txt app to keep from getting double notifications. Many Many user options.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I've been a huge handsent fan from the beginning... I've since switched to go sms... And easily appreciate the differences... For now I find our a much better experience! For what its worth, you might give it a try...

Derekweb

Reaction score
Handcent also allows you to chose music directly for ringtones from stock launcer settings!

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Go sms allowed me to use music option to user my mr.bean notify from zedge...
Not to mention a ton of theme options.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tigersharkdude

Reaction score
My opinion for loving handcent is probably not why most of ya'll love it. I am deaf, and love the fact that I can set a custom vibrate pattern for incoming texts, so its much easier for me to tell if I have a text (read asap) or just email, facebook, etc, etc