Handcent SMS

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I have no real answer for this...only my own experience...

Numerous times I have went to update apps or just download an app I have read/heard about, and i would have to toggle my WiFi "on & off"...regardless of whether or not I was trying to download via wireless or over 3G..

I want to think the phone just gets its signals crossed occasionally....:icon_eek:

countryboy498

Reaction score
For about the last 2 weeks or so my Handcent seems to be lagging really bad. A recieved text will show up a full 10 seconds before I get my notification sound, I can actually reply to a text then I get my notification and it appears like I never even opened it.

As of about a week ago I seem to send pictures through Handcent or recieve them.

Any suggestions before I delete and go back to stock?

My DX is rooted but no custom roms are installed, using LP Plus.

Fredisgreen

Reaction score
Yeah, so I recently downloaded Handcent SMS, and I'm wondering if there is a way to make it the default messaging app. So that when I get a new text it doesn't tell me I have a new text in Handcent and in Messages, as well as keep the green notification light from flashing constantly.

Any help would be good, obviously.. thanks.

Crushr1

Reaction score
Yeah, so I recently downloaded Handcent SMS, and I'm wondering if there is a way to make it the default messaging app. So that when I get a new text it doesn't tell me I have a new text in Handcent and in Messages, as well as keep the green notification light from flashing constantly.

Any help would be good, obviously.. thanks.

The easiest way to do that is to go into your messaging App that came with your phone and go into it's menu "settings." From there you should be able to turn off or deselect "notifications" on that app. Then turn on "notifications" on the Handcent SMS App. That should do it. If both messaging Apps have their notifications setting turned on, you'll always get duplicates in your notification area.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
All you need to do is like what was said to just disable notifications in the stock messaging app and make sure handcent's are enabled and set them up like you want.

There is an option to set handcent as default messaging app in the handcent settings somewhere possibly in application or system settings. But I have tried this out and there is no added benefit to doing it that I can see.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jorger81

Reaction score
How are you liking Handcent? I had it on my Samsung Frustrate and it destroyed the battery.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Fredisgreen

Reaction score
I like it pretty well... It doesn't force close nearly as often as the stock messenger did. The only thing I don't like is that it takes forever to download pictures.. but I'm not sure if that's the app or service or what.

cece5702

Reaction score
I finally broke down and downloaded Handcent SMS instead of using stock SMS. Its one of the best apps for texting. A lot of new enhancements. I love it.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. If you ever want to check out another one that has a lot of options as well then there is always Go SMS. Handcent works very well but if you like choices then check it out and compare.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I might have to check one of these out, the messaging is the only thing I have never liked about Android. Yet I never wanted to try a third party one for some reason, the third party ones still use Verizon's networks right? What I mean is they don't get sent to a separate server and then sent to Verizon through them right?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Unless I misunderstand how it works then yes it's through vzw.

Sent From the Land Before Time...
Tapatalk 2_G-Nex

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Cool I am going to check out GoSMS then, I love GoLauncher and GoNotifications so seems like I will like SMS.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
That's a safe bet I'd say. I've been using it for a while. If you have any questions let me know, I'm not a pro but maybe I'll be able to answer it.

Sent From the Land Before Time...
Tapatalk 2_G-Nex