HALP!!! Cannot Bootstrap Phone

ZombieSixShot

Reaction score
My buddy has totally messed up his phone. been running rubix 1.9 for a while now and wants to switch to liberty. so i go to try and boot into bootstrap and its not there, like he uninstalled it. also he cannot get onto the market to download it because his main gmail account has been locked out by google caz he said it was haxed or some bullcorn. i found a bootstrap app and put it on his phone but the darn thing doesnt have a file manager program or anything so i have no way to install it. i cant install a file manager because i have no file manager to install with. So now im like oh well ill just SBF it.

nope.

RSD lite 4.9 ive used it several times with my own. it will not find his device at all, its like its only a USB drive plugged in. So now im at a total loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Might try ADB...

The first thing I thought of to get bootstrap back on there is to open the phone in ADB and copy the APK to the system/app directory. Obviously this won't work if the phone's not rooted.

Here are the steps:
1. Install ADB. Here's the download link: Android SDK | Android Developers

2. Next you'll want to open ADB's SDK Manager and install Android SDK Platform-tools and Google USB Driver package.

3. Make sure the phone's USB Debugging is turned on, and plug it into the USB port in USB Mass Storage mode.

4. Open a command prompt and CD to the (ADB install directory)\platform-tools

5. Type "adb devices" and hit enter. If you don't see a big long hex number under "list of devices", stop and ask further questions.

4. Type "adb shell" and hit enter. If you don't get a $ or # at this point, stop and ask further questions.

5. Type this: mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system (If this doesn't work, try typing "su" without the quotes and trying again)

6. Now this: cd /system/app

7. Now this: cp /sdcard/(APK directory)/(apkfilename).apk /system/app/(apkfilename).apk

If any of that is confusing or doesn't work, or I'm flat out wrong, someone please let me know. :)

EDIT: After you've done this, the app should miraculously appear in your app drawer. Just wanted to add that. :)

Last edited:

kilahimm

Reaction score
If being unable to log into your friends gmail account is one of your main problems you could always create a spare gmail account/use your own to get market access. Then once you have bootstrap reinstalled wipe data/cache/dalvic and it should be clear of the account information.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
If being unable to log into your friends gmail account is one of your main problems you could always create a spare gmail account/use your own to get market access. Then once you have bootstrap reinstalled wipe data/cache/dalvic and it should be clear of the account information.

Yes ^

Stupid question but, are you booting into the bootloader before you try to SBF?

Hold Power + Vol Down + Camera...