Cannot install anything after flashing 1.5 - Please help!

beckerfj

Reaction score
This is long, but I wanted to make sure it's clear on what exactly I did...I need serious help.

I'm a ROM newbie. Liberty 1.0 was my first ROM install. Followed the directions and was running 1.0 without any problems and loving it. Decided to take the plunge and move to 1.5. Now, I have some serious issues.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Using TBU, backed up my user data (no system data) and created a TBU.zip.
2. Re-booted using Bootstrap.
3. Performed Nandroid backup of my 1.0 ROM.
4. Performed a wipe data/factory reset.
5. Performed a wipe cache partition (I think that is what it's called, it's the option right below wipe data/factory reset). I realize this wasn't part of the instructions, but I forgot about that.
6. Installed Liberty 1.5 from sdcard - no error messages at all.
7. Installed TBU.zip from sdcard - no error messages at all.
8. Rebooted system.

Everything appeared to go without a hitch. During the rebooting, the system will have the Liberty Eagle that "rotates", the lockscreen will show, then the system will show the Liberty Eagle that "rotates" again and then the lockscreen again and I'll be fine. I tried to go to settings, liberty settings and it force closes.

Checking the applications, I made a mental note that the toolbox and terminal weren't there. I opened TBU to restore apps (again no system data) and during the re-installing of the first app I got the Liberty Eagle (mentioned above) again and then the lockscreen (install failed).

I decided to skip TBU and go into the Market and redownload Bootstrap because I was intending to reflash 1.5 (or restore 1.0). During the install (from the Market) of Bootstrap, I got the Liberty Eagle again and then the lockscreen (install failed)!

So, I can't restore or install any apps. Since I didn't have Bootstrap installed, I renamed the Liberty 1.5.zip to update.zip and rebooted into the system recovery (I think that is what it's called). This is the one where it only gives you option of installing update.zip from sdcard (the reason I renamed the ROM to this). Tried it and the installation aborted.

So, right now, I can use the phone, text, and surf the web, but I cannot install anything!

Since I can't install Bootstrap, how can I reflash anything to get out of this?

kdkinc

Reaction score
This is long, but I wanted to make sure it's clear on what exactly I did...I need serious help.

I'm a ROM newbie. Liberty 1.0 was my first ROM install. Followed the directions and was running 1.0 without any problems and loving it. Decided to take the plunge and move to 1.5. Now, I have some serious issues.

5. Performed a wipe cache partition (I think that is what it's called, it's the option right below wipe data/factory reset). I realize this wasn't part of the instructions, but I forgot about that.
8. Rebooted system.

Everything appeared to go without a hitch. During the rebooting, the system will have the Liberty Eagle that "rotates", the lockscreen will show, then the system will show the Liberty Eagle that "rotates" again and then the lockscreen again and I'll be fine. I tried to go to settings, liberty settings and it force closes.

Checking the applications, I made a mental note that the toolbox and terminal weren't there. I opened TBU to restore apps (again no system data) and during the re-installing of the first app I got the Liberty Eagle (mentioned above) again and then the lockscreen (install failed).

I decided to skip TBU and go into the Market and redownload Bootstrap because I was intending to reflash 1.5 (or restore 1.0). During the install (from the Market) of Bootstrap, I got the Liberty Eagle again and then the lockscreen (install failed)!

So, I can't restore or install any apps. Since I didn't have Bootstrap installed, I renamed the Liberty 1.5.zip to update.zip and rebooted into the system recovery (I think that is what it's called). This is the one where it only gives you option of installing update.zip from sdcard (the reason I renamed the ROM to this). Tried it and the installation aborted.

So, right now, I can use the phone, text, and surf the web, but I cannot install anything!

You may a a corrupt 1.5 file reload a new one.
clean out the Liberty folder on your SD card. previous downloaded files in this folder
install the new downloaded 1.5 file as you did wiping as you did.
LET Google load your programs after the Rom loads .Turn on your WiFi in settings to speed it up.
Let phone load programs AND stay away from TBU !!! (at this time).
Do a full reboot.

As a side note TBU is a great program however it also saves the out of date files also.

kdkinc

Reaction score
What is the preferred alternative to TBU?

I like TBU and MyBackup Pro.
When I restore with TBU or Mybackup pro its mostly select data and a very few programs.
Google does a fine job and Appbrain of restoring the programs just let it do its thing on first bootup by the Rom.

OP
B

beckerfj

Reaction score

8. Rebooted system.

You may a a corrupt 1.5 file reload a new one.
clean out the Liberty folder on your SD card. previous downloaded files in this folder
install the new downloaded 1.5 file as you did wiping as you did.
LET Google load your programs after the Rom loads .Turn on your WiFi in settings to speed it up.
Let phone load programs AND stay away from TBU !!! (at this time).
Do a full reboot.

As a side note TBU is a great program however it also saves the out of date files also.

I can redownload the 1.5 file and put it on my SD card to install, but that's where the problem is.

I no longer have Bootstrap available as an application so I can't install that new download because I can't reboot into Bootstrap.

Are you suggesting I try doing the system recovery "reboot while holding down the home button" install of the new download? I'll give that a try. It couldn't hurt.

D

dankarlinski

When the phone is booting, and is at the boot image (the rotating eagle), pull ghe battery. Next time you boot, you'll go right into clockwork

From my Liberated Droid 2 (Liberty v 1.0)

kdkinc

Reaction score
couple things to try..
Go to market download DroidX recovery (bootloader).
with phone on and plug-ed in with WALL charger pull battery , wait 20-30 seconds reinstall battery should boot into droidx recovery.
You may have to do the volume and power button thing.
YOU will conquer this...

OP
B

beckerfj

Reaction score
[SOLVED] Cannot install anything after flashing 1.5 - Please help!

When the phone is booting, and is at the boot image (the rotating eagle), pull ghe battery. Next time you boot, you'll go right into clockwork

From my Liberated Droid 2 (Liberty v 1.0)

I tried this method, it didn't work. It just rebooted normally.

couple things to try..
Go to market download DroidX recovery (bootloader).
with phone on and plug-ed in with WALL charger pull battery , wait 20-30 seconds reinstall battery should boot into droidx recovery.
You may have to do the volume and power button thing.
YOU will conquer this...

Tried this, and it worked! Let me just say WOW! Honestly, I wouldn't never thought of something like this.

Here's what I had to do:

1. Removed SD card to put the re-download of Liberty 1.5 onto it (I actually couldn't re-download using my phone at all and I couldn't get the USB connection to work).
2. Plugged into wall charger.
3. Went to the market, re-downloaded Droid X Recovery Bootstrap (I wasn't sure when to do the battery pull). As it was installing, the rotating Liberty Eagle showed (same as earlier). Did battery pull at this time.
4. Waited about 20 sec (thinking just leaving the phone plugged in would do something, but it didn't do anything), put the battery back in and booted the phone (keeping the phone still plugged into the wall charger).
5. Booted into Droid X Recovery Bootstrap!
6. Did wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition.
7. Installed Liberty 1.5 successfully!

Earlier there was a comment about letting Google reinstall the apps. I am probably missing something, but the market didn't show all of my previous applications and didn't reinstall anything.

Since I didn't have much installed anyway (only installed a few applications after flashing the 1.0 a week ago), I can manually re-download them. I don't mind this part.

I'm just ecstatic that this procedure actually worked and the help provided! You guys rock!!!

jcutter347

Reaction score
Use Appmonster or titanium backup to save your apps. Then you won't have to re-download them, just re-install.