had D2 for about a year.

MND2

Reaction score
hello

Droid 2 newB here. well ive had a D2 for about a year or so maybe and i know how to work it and all that stuff but a good buddy of mine has the first droid and knows what are the "cool" apps to download and what not and i feel like my droid2 is just so plain and blahh kind of. im just wondering if anyone has any good tips on cool applications to download.
im on my second D2 (the 1st D2 had water damage) and so it was under warranty and got a rebuilt one from verizon. but with my first D2 i had downloaded this app to download songs but i cant remember the dang name of it and when i did the back up on my second D2 all of my apps were re downloaded besides the MP3 downloader.

My current D2 runs slow at times and im just trying to unleash the "beast of a phone" people tell me i have and what not lol

my first smarthpone was a blackberry.

any tips or anything will be much appreciated!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would root and install a custom ROM. It will really unleash the beast in your phone.

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

xrp861

Reaction score
Root and Rom you will see a dramatic increase without MOTO blah on your Android.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Would the app have by chance been Tunee Music or Music Junk?

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

OP
M

MND2

Reaction score
these phones are nuts. when i hang out with my buddy i use his phone and its just crazy this he has on it. it makes my phone look like a lame phone! haha im pretty clueless on what rooting it and stuff means. this has been on my bucket list to figure these droids out and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
The fastest ROM I have seen for the D2 is Apex 2.0. I used it on my X and it was fast and stable

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You are certainly in the right place, there are some VERY smart people here!
"Rooting" is similar to jail breaking an iPhone or iPod or signing in as an administrator on a PC, giving you control and access to pretty much anything on your phone. 9 out of 10 people who root would never go back to being unrooted :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The fastest ROM I have seen for the D2 is Apex 2.0. I used it on my X and it was fast and stable

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

+1! Apex and Liberty were my favorites!

OP
M

MND2

Reaction score
"Rooting" is similar to jail breaking an iPhone or iPod or signing in as an administrator on a PC, giving you control and access to pretty much anything on your phone. 9 out of 10 people who root would never go back to being unrooted :)

lol ok,im still not very sure of what "rooting" is though. i understand that it "unleashes a beast". this is a work phone but all i do is make phone calls on it for the work part of it. does it cost money to "root" it? how would i go about doing it? i still want the reliability of the phone as well

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

lol ok,im still not very sure of what "rooting" is though. i understand that it "unleashes a beast". this is a work phone but all i do is make phone calls on it for the work part of it. does it cost money to "root" it? how would i go about doing it? i still want the reliability of the phone as well

Think about it like this: say you have a house with a basement. All of your major appliances (water heater, circuit breaker, etc.) are down there...but the door is locked. Rooting unlocks the door.
Root itself changes nothing but what you have access to. It's the other stuff that's done incorrectly afterwards that can destroy your phone. Root is free and, on the D2, is a piece of cake to do and undo.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha. I have a house analogy I use too droidDOES. That's awesome. Its also like having a car that really goes 150mph but has a govenor on it, restricting it to 50mph. Wouldn't you want to Take that govenor off and have control over how fast you go and use the cars full potential for performance? Of course!
Also, you said you got a replacement from VZW. They sometimes will send a droid 2 global instead of a d2 (and they look alike) so make sure it's a d2 before flashing a rom. Rooting is easy on the d2. Dl z4root (pm me if you need it) and install it. Open it and hit permanent root and you're done (more or less). Of course, educate yourself. Everyone is here to help each other!

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.9 (Blacked out-red theme)