Hack to speed up 3G

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
What I am curious about is....is there a back out for this? Like what if you are experiencing issues....how to do you go back?

And I was referring to bricking my wife's D1

I need to look in to it more but I think I found more info. It modifies build.prop. let me compare my current build.prop to the original from the system dump I have thanks to GRD team to make sure. I will also post the link to xda thread tomorow. Well later today technically.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
On the program itself it says it was developed for the d2, but I'm sure it can work on other phones. The risk is yours though of course

Sent from my Liberated DROID2

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Ok I did some follow up research on my post above. The method I found is not related to this hack. It is unclear, yet, what exactly this hack in the OP does to your phone.

EDIT: The method from the OP seems to have brought back an old issue I had with Liberty. Often times the screen refuses to turn on completely, only the back light comes on.

However I have found something a bit more open source, so to speak, that claims to speed up 3G as well. I have used the hack in the OP and it is not the same hack I am posting here:
[Mod] Improved 3G/Edge Speeds
I am going to test now.

Last edited:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok I did some follow up research on my post above. The method I found is not related to this hack. It is unclear, yet, what exactly this hack in the OP does to your phone.

EDIT: The method from the OP seems to have brought back an old issue I had with Liberty. Often times the screen refuses to turn on completely, only the back light comes on.

However I have found something a bit more open source, so to speak, that claims to speed up 3G as well. I have used the hack in the OP and it is not the same hack I am posting here:
I am going to test now.

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in what this hack actually modded on my phone. I'll try the one you just posted too. I take it you already Unthrottled with the other hack and are going to try the new one "on top of " it?

eqforus5

Reaction score

I am going to test now.

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in what this hack actually modded on my phone. I'll try the one you just posted too. I take it you already Unthrottled with the other hack and are going to try the new one "on top of " it?

Any word yet on these? Wanna try these but want as much info as I can get before I do.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I will spare you the boring details but I restored a nandroid earlier before I did this hack I linked to, but since we are in the dark on what this hack does, I am unsure if the nandroid undid the changes or not. So I can not say for sure if I tested my hack on top of the OPs hack or not. What I can say is I threw this in the end of my build.prop, pushed it to my phone and did a reboot. I ran a few speed tests. For the most part I saw the same results as the hack from the OP.

When using the OP hack my upload did increase from around 500 to 700 kbps pretty consistently. My download speed topped out at around 500 kbps just as before but now my download speed was running at around 50-80 kbps the majority of the download speed test.

When using the hack I linked to, I did hit a download speed of 800 kbps one time and one time only, but thats better then I experienced from the OPs hack. However I did test it again, seeing as its almost midnight here perhaps the load on the tower is a bit less as I am now hitting download speeds as high as 1.5 megabits. The results of my last 4 speed test just now were(in order) 997,1009,910,and 662 kbps. Average speeds looked to be around the 500 mark for the most part. On upload I saw(in order) 670,846,773, and 618 kbps.

CONCLUSION:

Wile I appreciate the effort of the developer of the NirtiScript, I felt the build.prop hack I below was the better method of the two. I saw higher speeds and generally more reliable speeds.
http://forum.samdroid.net/f28/improved-3g-edge-speeds-4165/

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Not a problem, with a typical top speed of 512kbps, I had to test these! My weak Moto Backflip(520Mhz stock cpu but overclocked to about 720Mhz in my case) with ATT usually was rated 2 Mbps download so any improvement was a good thing. Thankfully since Opera Mobile last update web pages are rendered much better so it hasnt made a huge difference for browsing the web, and tapatalk is mainly just text being processed it hasnt made a huge impact but I do notice apps are a bit slower to download.

eqforus5

Reaction score
Thanks for the info it is a big help. Will probably try the hack this coming weekend.

satoru

Reaction score
I have not tested or downloaded the files as I am not home right now but I can tell you right now that if all 4 of the files are .bat then it could not be more open source. .bat is the most basic programming language if you call it that lol. I learned this when I was about 8 not long after I got my first computer. All you have to do is open the file in notepad as this is 99% of the time is how it was writtin, if not then it was done in notepad++ which is better but not needed if you know what you are doing.

Edit: google "batch scripting" for more info.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940821&page=3

Contents of ClassoutAndUnthrottle:

cd classout/com/android/server/
del ThrottleService$1.smali
del ThrottleService$2.smali
del ThrottleService$DataRecorder.smali
del ThrottleService$InterfaceObserver.smali
del ThrottleService$MyHandler.smali
del ThrottleService$SettingsObserver.smali
del ThrottleService.smali

I see people asking if you can undo this. Take note of these files. Make backup.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Last edited:

Feudalplague

Reaction score
whoever posted this is a tech god.. haha i was half expecting this to not work out so well until well my 3g connection went from 1 bar all the way up to full signal strength. i can run my xbox on the barnacle wifi tether again :) (im not on gingerbread i like hexen on froyo better haha)

juv3

Reaction score
does this script work on roote GB.067?

Sent from Droid2 Global GB.607 Using Tapatalk