[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

odium1031

Reaction score
The problem I'm having is when I'm in HBOOT after starting my phone, then plug in my USB cable the PC doesn't identify the phone is plugged in. I've installed the drivers and packages and restarted both the phone and PC several times but nothing.

All I get is < waiting for device > after entering the fastboot command.

acejavelin

Reaction score
The problem I'm having is when I'm in HBOOT after starting my phone, then plug in my USB cable the PC doesn't identify the phone is plugged in. I've installed the drivers and packages and restarted both the phone and PC several times but nothing.

All I get is < waiting for device > after entering the fastboot command.

Are you starting fastboot on the phone via the hboot menu option?

What OS is on your PC?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

odium1031

Reaction score
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I've downloaded the drivers and when I'm in Fastboot I get the acknowledge sound when I plug in the USB. However, when I type Fastboot devices, there is nothing.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I've downloaded the drivers and when I'm in Fastboot I get the acknowledge sound when I plug in the USB. However, when I type Fastboot devices, there is nothing.

So you installed HTC Sync and then removed it to install the drivers? Have you tried another USB port , also sometimes the phones don't like going through a USB hub.

odium1031

Reaction score
I've just uninstalled HTC Sync. I have to install the drivers after HTC Sync is uninstalled?

odium1031

Reaction score
Let me start over. I guess the first problem I'm having is HTC Sync doesn't even recognize my phone.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I've just uninstalled HTC Sync. I have to install the drivers after HTC Sync is uninstalled?

No, you install HTC Sync to install the drivers then uninstall HTC Sync and the drivers stay. If you had HTC Sync running it will not connect with fastboot.

odium1031

Reaction score
Ok, my apologies for not fully understanding. I've reinstalled HTC Sync, connected the phone and let it download the drivers for my phone. Disconnected the phone from USB when that was completed and uninstalled HTC Sync. Restarted both the computer and phone. Put the phone in Bootloader. Connected to USB and entered the string for fastboot oem get_identifier_token and I am still at < waiting for device >. Anything I'm missing?

acejavelin

Reaction score
Ok, my apologies for not fully understanding. I've reinstalled HTC Sync, connected the phone and let it download the drivers for my phone. Disconnected the phone from USB when that was completed and uninstalled HTC Sync. Restarted both the computer and phone. Put the phone in Bootloader. Connected to USB and entered the string for fastboot oem get_identifier_token and I am still at < waiting for device >. Anything I'm missing?

It should come back almost instantly... If you do "fastboot devices" does it come up with anything? Antivirus turned off? Anything unrecognized/unknown in device manager or with an error?

odium1031

Reaction score
Antivirus is off. Fastboot devices doesn't display anything at all. I hit enter and it just goes to command prompt like I didn't enter anything at all.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Antivirus is off. Fastboot devices doesn't display anything at all. I hit enter and it just goes to command prompt like I didn't enter anything at all.

Sounds like old drivers or fastboot... Is the phone seen when fully booted? Boot into ROM and try adb devices and see if the phone is seen at all.

odium1031

Reaction score
Ran adb devices and nothing displayed under List of Devices attached. When I have the phone fully booted, Windows does see the phone and I get the connected sound. I also get the connected sound when I'm in Fastboot. Checking devices in windows shows Android 1.0 under unspecified devices.

odium1031

Reaction score
Also, I have the USB cable plugged directly into one of the motherboard ports on the back of the tower so there is no hub involved.

odium1031

Reaction score
I don't know if it matters or not but there is a purple field at the top that has LOCKED in it.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a driver issue... when I am connected (and USB Debugging enabled), I have a device in device manager called

[My Computer Name]\ADB Interface\My HTC
Driver Provider: HTC, Corporation
Driver Date: 4/26/2013
Driver Version: 2.0.7.18

It is the same in either fastboot or USB Debug mode. I am just running the default drivers from the stock ROM's built in drivers.

The purple field at the top is normal, it is telling you the bootloader is locked.

Have you tried Right clicking in device manager and updating the driver, and use automatic?