[Guide] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Can one unroot, update and reroot without having to reset to factory specs?
It takes a LONG time getting the system back the way I want it.

Though, now that I'm rooted, I can make a Titanium backup.
Can that restore the system in it's entirety?

Thanks Mr. Smith.
B

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can one unroot, update and reroot without having to reset to factory specs?
It takes a LONG time getting the system back the way I want it.

Though, now that I'm rooted, I can make a Titanium backup.
Can that restore the system in it's entirety?

Thanks Mr. Smith.
B

You're going to wind up resetting to factory regardless of how you update. You have to once you re-lock. Now you do have options. Titanium backup any apps you need to and get a stock rooted ROM, then install the apps you need and restore the data only. That's probably the safest other than the RUU route.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
So if I do a backup of apps and data, unroot, do the update, reroot, reinstall Titanium, will the new installation of Titanium recognize the previous backup(s)?

B

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
So if I do a backup of apps and data, unroot, do the update, reroot, reinstall Titanium, will the new installation of Titanium recognize the previous backup(s)?

B

As long as you don't remove the Titanium directory from your SD Card yes.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Excellent.
That's a great idea, backing up the backup to a PC.

So, I'm assuming that JB isn't pending for the Rezound.
Is there a viable aftermarket custom JB ROM out there that I could flash so I don't even have to worry about Verison OTA updates?

Thanks
B

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent.
That's a great idea, backing up the backup to a PC.

So, I'm assuming that JB isn't pending for the Rezound.
Is there a viable aftermarket custom JB ROM out there that I could flash so I don't even have to worry about Verison OTA updates?

Thanks
B

CyanogenMod is probably going to provide JB before an OTA does. Especially seeing as the Rezound is about a year and a half old and HTC pretty much abandoned anything that doesn't have a "One" in it's name.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
CyanogenMod is probably going to provide JB before an OTA does. Especially seeing as the Rezound is about a year and a half old and HTC pretty much abandoned anything that doesn't have a "One" in it's name.

Thank you.

Is it you opinion, good Sir, that current custom ICS ROMs are better than the stock Verizon HTC ROM?

If so, I'll try one and then flash a JB ROM when they come out.

B

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Is it you opinion, good Sir, that current custom ICS ROMs are better than the stock Verizon HTC ROM?

If so, I'll try one and then flash a JB ROM when they come out.

B

When I had my Rezound I loved the Cyanogenmod and Kangs. However if the Sense based ROMs are your thing then yes, they blow away the stock ROM.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by Sense based?

I have the sense launcher as the stock launcher on my Rezound, and I think it was on my D1 as well, but I always replace it with Launcher Pro.

Is what at what you mean?

I also downloaded ROM Manager a couple of years ago.

Do you have an opinion on that app?

Thanks

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by Sense based?

I have the sense launcher as the stock launcher on my Rezound, and I think it was on my D1 as well, but I always replace it with Launcher Pro.

Is what at what you mean?

I also downloaded ROM Manager a couple of years ago.

Do you have an opinion on that app?

Thanks

Yeah the Sense based ROMs are the ones that keep the Sense launcher apps and general integration, such as CleanROM. Stock/Vanilla ROMs like Cyanogenmod remove all of that and instead use the stock Android applications.

ROM Manager is a great app. It's virtually worthless on the Rezound though. The whole problem is that ROM Manager is tied to clockworkmod. As such(On the Rezound) it doesn't do much since you really need AmonRa to backup(and be able to restore) your phone. On every other phone I've used either ROM Manager or JRummy's ROM Toolbox and I generally use ClockWorkMod (touch) or TWRP recovery.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
LOL
After using Rom manager in the past I, wrongly, assumed it would work on the Rezound so I flashed the Clockwork recovery over Amon Ra.
Figures.

I looked at the Cyanogenmod and noticed that the bluetooth doesn't work on that.
Are there any ROMs that don't have that limitation?

Thanks again.
You're a lifesaver!

B

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL
After using Rom manager in the past I, wrongly, assumed it would work on the Rezound so I flashed the Clockwork recovery over Amon Ra.
Figures.

I looked at the Cyanogenmod and noticed that the bluetooth doesn't work on that.

Thanks again.
You're a lifesaver!

B

That's a good question. Hopefully someone that's still active on the Rez can chime in.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
LOL
Figures.

Thanks again.
You're a lifesaver!

B

what firmware are you currently on...global leak? official global?

ill look into Bluetooth status for JB's... streaming media via bluetooth works perfectly on CM10.1 5/5 build by flyhalf205, but im not sure about Bluetooth calling because I don't use that feature...

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hmmm.
Firmware version.
Android 4.0.3
Sense 3.6
Software 3.14.605.13.710RD

Did that answer your question?

B