[GUIDE]Non-Verizon Users Optimization Recommendations

leobg

Reaction score
I decided to experiment today with Backup Assistant to see if phone can survive hard reset if Backup Assistant is disabled/removed. Reports were that phone gets stuck in initialization wizard due to the missing Backup Assistant and recovery is either to restore it via ADB or flash SBF. Turned out setup wizard ran just fine skipping backup assistant stuff completely and transparently. No questions, no warnings - everything went fine.
Due to the fact phone is not on Verizon, it even saves couple of minutes of useless waiting for backup assistant to timeout its connection attempt. Yay!
I observed Backup assistant is a service that is constantly running on background. Not sure if it is also constantly trying to connect, but ever since I disabled it, first "accounts" is not cluttered with the unremovable backup assistant account anymore and second I believe my battery life increased slightly! Could be plasebo, but anyways. Service isn't running in background anymore, does not consume memory or battery. As the famous Russian dictator Stalin from the past century used to say "Person exists - problem exists, person does not exist - problem does not exist!" I find it right for this occasion :)
If anyone is interested of taking control over the issue, the APK's that you need to disable are 4:
Code:
BackupAssistanceClient.apk
BuaContactAdapter.apk
android-syncservice-app.apk
SimContactAdapter.apk
Other Verizon stuff that isn't going to be useful for non Verizon users you can put down:
Code:
MyVerizon.apk 
Skype_mobile.live.apk
Vvm.apk
vnav_6.1.0.160_Droid2Global_rel_PROD_signed.apk
And finally some paid stuff:
Code:
CityID.apk
amazonmp3_1_8_14_signed_zipaligned_Signed_2010-09-09_15-23-51.apk
Blockbuster.apk.bak

There is one APK used to receive emergency alerts, I believe it works only in the USA, it is called cmas.apk - you can disable that too.

One advice for the native wifi tethering app - 3G Mobile Hotspot - you can get it working with your carrier (if you have tethering plan of course) as long as you create access point with the right settings and set it as type "dun". Sure enough Verizon made sure "dun" type access points cannot be manually added from settings menu. Workaround is simple though - use application like APN Backup & Restore from market to 'inject' a dun type APN - create backup of APN's, edit the backup on PC, add the necessary content in the XML site, put it back on the phone and use 'restore' to get it saved in). Viola - it is there :)

So essentially after these steps performed phone starts looking less Verizon and more Motorola like (BLUR remains intact)

Last edited: