Easy Guide to Root, Boot and ROM Your X

midgetgrimm

Reaction score
Okay, first off, I am not responsible for what happens to YOUR phone, proceed at own risk. Second, there are lots of people to thank for all of this. So, Thank You!dancedroid

***Don't Forget to Run Back-Up Assistant or Transfer Your Contacts to Google as some ROM's don't use Back-Up Assistant***

Okay First you need to Root your Droid (Root means gains Admin type access of phone), get z4, when you download it will prompt you, click the SETTINGS tab, it will bring you into Settings>Applications, click Allow Unknown Sources, hit back and click onz4, after it downloads and installs, run it. It will have Two options Root and Unroot, pick Root, it will let you know when it is done. Reboot and you will have an App in your drawer called SuperUser. You don't need anything further with that, except that whenever you get prompted to "Allow SuperUser Permissions", always click OK.

Second, you need DroidX BootStrapper. Once it downloads and installs,(Step 3) go and download Darkslide here in this thread. Which will also have instructions. So download it and save the .zip file in the root of the SD,not in a folder. http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-roms/5788-rom-darkslide-v4-1-updated-01-11-11-a.html

Now Fourth step, Go and open DroidX BootStrapper, click on "BootStrap Recovery" When it is done it prompts you with "SUCCESS", click OK.
Now click on "Reboot Recovery", your screen will go black and the Motorola M will show up for a few moments, and then a screen with 7 options pop up-
-reboot system now
-apply sdcard
-wipe data/factory reset
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

****Use your Volume keys for up and down and Camera for Select. Back button is back button****
Click on "backup and restore" and run it, for the "ole" just in case. Good to have a backup.
Now go down to wipe data/factory reset, select it, scroll down to YES, select it, and the information will start to scroll on the screen and will say when it is finished, now hit "back" (unless it takes you back to that menu on its own) to get to the menu as seen above and scroll down to "install from sdcard" and select it, then it brings you to folder menu, now find your ROM .zip that you downloaded and select it, select YES and it's going to take off, it will again let you know when it is finished, again hit "back" (unless it takes you back to that menu on its own) to get to the menu as seen above and select reboot.

Your phone will now reboot, sign in with your Google information, run your Back-Up Assistant, and enjoy your new ROM, you might want to reboot your phone once or twice after wards, I find it helps settle the new ROM.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps, because I was noob and I had to piece this stuff together, so enjoy. Cheers

want a droid

Reaction score
You should advise people to transfer their contacts from Backup Assistant to their Google account. Most roms get rid of Backup Assistant because of how bad it is. Google is a cloud and if you have your contacts on your Google account then they will always be linked to your phone as long as you're signed in.

OP
midgetgrimm

midgetgrimm

Reaction score
You should advise people to transfer their contacts from Backup Assistant to their Google account. Most roms get rid of Backup Assistant because of how bad it is. Google is a cloud and if you have your contacts on your Google account then they will always be linked to your phone as long as you're signed in.
Good iDea let me see if i can edit

andylulzyou

Reaction score
You missed backing up the stock rom. Very very very very important step. Also all ROM's have different installation instructions.

OP
midgetgrimm

midgetgrimm

Reaction score
You missed backing up the stock rom. Very very very very important step. Also all ROM's have different installation instructions.
Well damn, I have only done a couple of ROM's and this is how I did all of them, hmmm maybe this thread should be deleted or relabeled for DarkSlide/Rubix ROM installation.

Also I never backed up my original ROM, I thought BootStrap did that for you

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! Also, the Bootstrap Recovery command doesn't make a backup at all, this must be done in CW before wiping data and cache.
As mentioned above: some ROMs have different instructions like selecting "Mount/system" before installing. Also, unmount/system before rebooting (as some suggest), is unnecessary as the install process normally does it for you. Great guide otherwise!! :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
midgetgrimm

midgetgrimm

Reaction score
Well whoops. I don't know what CW is. I guess I have no back up. Good thing I love my DarkSlide. Sooo what is CW? Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
CW is Clockwork as in Clockworkmod Recovery.

Well whoops. I don't know what CW is. I guess I have no back up. Good thing I love my DarkSlide. Sooo what is CW? Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

DroidForums Junkie!!