Group SMS on JB

moset

Reaction score
One of the functions lost with JB was the ability to send text massages to groups in contracts. I like the stock messaging app just fine, and while the ICS messaging required going into contacts, selecting a group, taping menu, message, then you could send a text to the group.
That is gone with JB unless i just haven't figured it out yet.
I've tried Go, Chomp, Handsent, and Pansi.
Each will send to a group but I've gotten force close on each at different times.
Does anyone know if 4.2 text has the ability to select groups to send a text and where that apk might be found?
I'm not really concerned with the group reply thing, just to be able to select a predefined group to send a text to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
One of the functions lost with JB was the ability to send text massages to groups in contracts. I like the stock messaging app just fine, and while the ICS messaging required going into contacts, selecting a group, taping menu, message, then you could send a text to the group.
That is gone with JB unless i just haven't figured it out yet.
I've tried Go, Chomp, Handsent, and Pansi.
Each will send to a group but I've gotten force close on each at different times.
Does anyone know if 4.2 text has the ability to select groups to send a text and where that apk might be found?
I'm not really concerned with the group reply thing, just to be able to select a predefined group to send a text to.

I really hope group texting isn't gone, one of my favorite things about my phone!!!

We are the Droid!! You will be assimilated!! Resistance is futile!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Krenzy

Reaction score
I'm confused: are you stating that you cannot send an SMS to more than one person at a time? I'm on the JB leak and I can text multiple people at once just fine.

OP
moset

moset

Reaction score
I can select all the recipients I want, one at a time. I can no longer select a group from contacts.
I send text to a group of about 16 people pretty regularly. I don't want to have to go through all my contacts each time i want to send a text to all 16.
With ICS I could go to my contacts, select groups, then send a text to each.
That is what is now missing.

OP
moset

moset

Reaction score
I just installed Go contacts EX and it will let me select a group, then send a message to the group like stock ICS contacts.
What would you do with a group of contacts other than send a text or maybe email?
I don't think you could call them all as a group.

GotnFX

Reaction score
I just installed Go contacts EX and it will let me select a group, then send a message to the group like stock ICS contacts.
What would you do with a group of contacts other than send a text or maybe email?
I don't think you could call them all as a group.

Just out of curiosity, where did you create the group?

GotnFX

Reaction score
In the people app.

Have you tried creating the group in gmail? I have all my contacts backed up with my gmail account and created groups in there such as family, and golf buddies. I don't like the stock SMS, but GO SMS hasn't given me any problems. I am not sure if this makes a difference but sounds as if you have a work around...just thought I'd throw it out there.

OP
moset

moset

Reaction score
Creating groups is not a problem. With ICS, in the people app you could select a group, tap menu, tap message and send a text to the members of that group. All with the stock apps. Now with JB the message option in the people app is gone.
With the stock message app you can select new text, then select from contacts and add one by one as many recipients as you like, then you can select if you want the message sent as a group message (replies from recipients go to all in the group) or individual text (replies only go to the sender). That hasn't changed.
What is missing in JB is the ability to select a group that you created in the people app and send to all.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Creating groups is not a problem. With ICS, in the people app you could select a group, tap menu, tap message and send a text to the members of that group. All with the stock apps. Now with JB the message option in the people app is gone.
With the stock message app you can select new text, then select from contacts and add one by one as many recipients as you like, then you can select if you want the message sent as a group message (replies from recipients go to all in the group) or individual text (replies only go to the sender). That hasn't changed.
What is missing in JB is the ability to select a group that you created in the people app and send to all.

Not sure about stock..but haven't had any issues with GO SMS sending texts to groups..on JB.

Jag1970

Reaction score
I get what you are saying..

I don't want to use a 3rd party app to send group sms. Not happy with losing the function when I updated the phone. Does anyone know if a factory reset will bring back the function?

JohnFH

Reaction score
I don't want to use a 3rd party app to send group sms. Not happy with losing the function when I updated the phone. Does anyone know if a factory reset will bring back the function?

A factory reset brings a phone back to the original configuration for the Android version that it is currently running. It will not restore anything from prior Android versions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR running 4.1.2