Grey signal bars?

greycobalt

Reaction score
When I leave an area where I was connected to Wifi, my signal bars only come back as grey instead of blue. I have full strength and 3G, but it won't let me use any data on the phone. I can only receive text messages or calls while this is happening. The only way for it to fix itself is by restarting the phone or toggling airplane mode a few times. This started happening randomly within the last few weeks. No new apps that have anything to do with Wifi or signal to my knowledge.

Any ideas? :-(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120821_214810.png
    ForumRunner_20120821_214810.png
    298.4 KB · Views: 829

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Usually means you aren't connected to Google's servers. I've found that signing into a google app from a webpage (since you don't have data at all this isn't an option) or toggling airplane mode *usually* fixes this. For whatever reason sometimes when leaving a WIFI area, it happens. That's really the only "fix" I know and you're already doing it...

E

_Evelyn_

My cellphone occurs the same problem, every time i'll have to restart the phone to receive wifi signal

Saryon

Reaction score
Power off phone, remove battery, remove SIM, wait 1 minute. Reinstall SIM, battery and power phone back on. If that does not correct the problem then force stop the play store app and clear cache and data. Reboot phone. Hope this helps!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Would definitely do what Saryon said. It happened to me a couple times and what I did was log out of my Gmail account then did the steps above. Probably didn't HAVE to log out, but it helped.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
This was happening to me at home on wifi but it was my firewall on my router that was preventing it from connecting to google servers.

I setup my router to bypass the firewall on the dhcp lease for the phone

Not that this helps in your situation as your are trying to connect on 3/4G but just a tip that I thought I would throw out there on this subject.

akaguma

Reaction score
I was perplexed by this problem and stumbled across a very simple solution which has given me nothing but blue bars ever since.
go into SETTINGS
go into DATA USAGE
turn MOBILE DATA to ON
BINGO
as to why this works I have no idea

Briteyez83

Reaction score
This was happening to me at home on wifi but it was my firewall on my router that was preventing it from connecting to google servers.

I setup my router to bypass the firewall on the dhcp lease for the phone

Not that this helps in your situation as your are trying to connect on 3/4G but just a tip that I thought I would throw out there on this subject.

How do setup the router to bypass the firewall? I just recently had to setup our router cause some how the name and password got reset. I've noticed that I've had gray bars for my wifi and data. I force stopped google play, cleared cache and data then did a reboot and still have gray bars.

Sent with Liquid Smoothness from my Maserati using Tapatalk2

kramermd

Reaction score
This would happen to both my phone and my wife's phone when we were home. At first I thought it was the router but it did not happen to other devices (non android). I actually fixed it two different ways. On my phone I turned off wifi Optimization under the advanced wifi settings. On my wife's phone I found some steps on another forum that included clearing the play store cache and something else...(probably what Saryon is talking about). But after I did that it would not connect either..so I logged back on the Play store and her phone seems to be working now. Hope this helps!

BTW...This does happen to me while connected to the wifi at work but I think there the port is just blocked.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
How do setup the router to bypass the firewall? I just recently had to setup our router cause some how the name and password got reset. I've noticed that I've had gray bars for my wifi and data. I force stopped google play, cleared cache and data then did a reboot and still have gray bars.

Sent with Liquid Smoothness from my Maserati using Tapatalk2

It all depends on your router, I have a motorola sbg900 and I have it secured not only with wpa but also a mac filter to keep unwanted people off of it.

I also reserve ip's based on the mac address when I setup the dhcp reservation I have the option to bypass the firewall for that IP.

I turn the firewall off for my droids and friends wireless devices that come over when I set them up but leave it on for my desktops and laptops.

fgco.jpg