Great step forward step back forwad back, Disapointed

masez34

Reaction score
So I just wanted to say I watched and read almost everything from CES, I was excited to hear the new stuff VZW has coming, IE Thunderbolt, Bionic so what a huge step forward in making these phones,

and now for the step back, no release dates in sight or even pre orders,

step forward in the announcement of the IPhone, it is great to have more options in carriers other than At& and to have someone else ving for sales of the phone, I can see people switching carriers for service to VZW and it will just make for better compatition so I dont see anything wrong with VZW wanting to sell this phone or anyone wanting to buy it, if your into that sort of thing,

and now for another step back, you give a pre sale date to a brand new phone and a all new system, but you are not giving your loyal customers that are wanting these new phones a release date or a pre sale date, come on VZW where are you going with this, catering to the new thing on the line, I am none to happy about you walking away from sending out these new phones and I am sure that none of your loyal Droid followers arent either,

I hope we see a release date, or at least a pre-sale/ order pop up on VZW before the 16th, when NE2 goes away, give your loyal Droid fans a break, send out at least a pre-order this week, so we can at least have a little insentive and feel like one of the family, instead of feeling left in the dark when something new come into the pipeline, 4 years coming,

anyone else have any views on my post, or what Verizon is doing,

Detonation

Reaction score
It was likely done on purpose. They probably won't release any of the dates for the other new phones until after the iPhone has been out for a little while. People are much more likely to buy something now when they don't know details of things coming later.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was likely done on purpose. They probably won't release any of the dates for the other new phones until after the iPhone has been out for a little while. People are much more likely to buy something now when they don't know details of things coming later.

Very possible, and so it begins Apple's strangle hold on another carrier.

T

tavenger5

I think Verizon is doing a great job. They were the only carrier at CES showing multiple unreleased phones. Their block of private rooms was the largest of any company from what I could tell.

When I viewed the Bionic it didn't even have an app menu yet. The tech pulled up a app menu from a folder. The Samsung 4G LTE doesn't even have an official name. The Motorola tablet didn't have an OS loaded at all.

The point is, the phones aren't ready yet. Not to mention LTE isn't nearly where it's going to be in another year.

I posted some more info on Verizon's presence at CES here: HTC Thunderbolt vs Samsung 4G LTE vs LG Revolution vs Motorola Droid Bionic

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
granted the devices may still need refinement, but it doesn't change the fact that VZW has no new Android devices to correspond with the iPhone launch.

The Android lineup is on the back burner for now... not cool VZW, not cool.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
revealing the iPhone and the release date was their top priority, no denying that. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear another word until after Feb. 10, iPhone release. Steve Jobs is pretty "persuasive" when it comes to his products....

Android may be on the down low right now, but that could very well work to Google's advantage. Not knowing the release date, people may hold off on the iPhone release to hear news of the new Android device releases.

I'll tell you this tough, I am not switching to the "smartphone for dummys".

iPirate

Reaction score
Martin.......

I don't understand your post.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

I hope this doesnt turn out to be true.
It is true. Now before anyone gets all upset its for a reason. They will be taking advantage of all the Q1 sales of the iPhone and then guess what? That fizzles out. What to do to keep the ball rolling in Q2? Unleash the new Droid and Android devices. Its all well orchestrated.

Sent from my Droid

a44kaliburll

Reaction score
is there any word on if we buy a 4g device and dont live in a 4g area that we will still have to pay the 4g premium? Because if that is the case I will...for sure get the 3g iphone. I hate the iphone but I will not pay extra for a service that isnt applicable to me. I wont pay 4g and even if it does come into my area, I am FULLY content with keeping 3g.

If anyone can tell me (with words from a reputable source) that the 4g phones will allow you to run 3g instead of 4g Im with android for life. If this isnt going to be possible I wont mind leaving at all.

...well I will mind...very much...I love android. I dont like spending more money.

jbdow

Reaction score
Thankful i don't have to worry about it- with my shiny new d2g -by the time something
better comes along i will have had this one for at least a year and a half. i'm pretty certain of that. so i'm well defended against all the hyperbole...:)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

I hope this doesnt turn out to be true.
It is true. Now before anyone gets all upset its for a reason. They will be taking advantage of all the Q1 sales of the iPhone and then guess what? That fizzles out. What to do to keep the ball rolling in Q2? Unleash the new Droid and Android devices. Its all well orchestrated.

Sent from my Droid
Oh, I see -- I can't bring logic into an argument but you can come in, both barrels on the ol' logic shotgun roaring at once? Shame, CK! ;)

Seriously, though, this way the Apple iPhone users jump ship, then the new devices come out, the iPhoners realize the Android devices are, actually, viable and get jealous of all the ooh, shiny, and buy one.

Also, the [censored by me], I mean people who immediately jump ship for the iPhone from their current Android devices realize what they've given up and buy the new phones because they sold their old ones to cover the cost of the iPhone.

Very smart behavior, VZW.

harrellj

Reaction score
One other thing to think about, everyone who got a D1 on release day (or shortly afterwards) is eligible for their NE2 in Q2. VZW gained a lot of people that they will want to extend contracts on ASAP, so there should be some nice releases in that time period.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
I believe the Droid X may already be nicer than the iphone. The larger screen alone makes it very usable. I have always been a iphone fan and has always wanted this day to come but I have been living and liking the droid world for a while now.

OP
masez34

masez34

Reaction score
well I in no way wanted this to be about the IPhony, what I was saying was that I would hate to see Verizon hold out on all of these great Droid phones to their loyal customers just because Jobs wants it his way and Verizon wants to steal away market share from AT&.

I didnt want to see all of the new implementations Verizon is imposing on its customers, NE2 ending, 14 day return policy change from 30 days, end of promotion upgrade to a smartphone and just pay smartphone data charge on sexondary lines,

so with all of this going on and no new release date in site for any new amazing Droid phones, I had to go ahead and order what I thought was the best out now, The Droid X, I wanted to wait till something newer came out since it seems EOL for the X is march 31, but with the following it seems to have, and the processor and space it seems to have should last me the two years I will have to use it, so as soon as it ships I will be a first time new Droid user, with the X.

Just wish Verizon would have sent out the new stuff for us loyal fans and customers, and not cater to the other new customers, cause I really dont see alot of people wanting to switch to an IPhony if they already use a Droid format, hope it is the best choice I made, guess we will see in a few days when I get it in hand, and see if it truly last the test for the next two years, FX