Gracefully exit applications?

jpkennedy79

Reaction score
I'm new to the Droid. It does not appear that any apps have a button to click to exit. What is the standard process to gracefully close out an app? Simply click the back button till you are at the home screen or just hit the home screen button itself? Would this leave the app running in the background?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pressing thee Home button will leave it running yes. So if you're on a web page and don't wanna lose it, hit the Home button, do whatever you gotta do, and then click teh Browser icon again, and it's still open at that page.

Press the Back button to close out. In the Browser I just hit the Menu button, select Windows, and close them all out, and then hit Back to close the Browser

draconis123

Reaction score
Well, to gracefully close apps, you should have both feet planted on solid, flat ground to lessen the chance of falling. Wear comfortable shoes (some sneakers seem to do the job very well) and even keep a hand on a nearby wall. Following these steps should stop you from being ungraceful.

Hope I helped!

jcardona1

Reaction score
Pressing thee Home button will leave it running yes. So if you're on a web page and don't wanna lose it, hit the Home button, do whatever you gotta do, and then click teh Browser icon again, and it's still open at that page.

Press the Back button to close out. In the Browser I just hit the Menu button, select Windows, and close them all out, and then hit Back to close the Browser
is there a way to keep the browser page always open? i hate having to reload a fresh browser page. how does this work? will it automatically close the browser after a certain period of time?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, to gracefully close apps, you should have both feet planted on solid, flat ground to lessen the chance of falling. Wear comfortable shoes (some sneakers seem to do the job very well) and even keep a hand on a nearby wall. Following these steps should stop you from being ungraceful.

Hope I helped!

LOL! :rofl3: Were you on the safety committee in grade school, by chance?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

is there a way to keep the browser page always open? i hate having to reload a fresh browser page. how does this work? will it automatically close the browser after a certain period of time?

To keep a webpage always open in the browser, just never press the Back button while in the browser unless you're trying to literally go back a page.

And no it will not close the browser by itself. If you use a task killer just make sure to exclude the browser from being shut down...

kylereu

Reaction score
It is not so "graceful" but there is a free app you can download that works great called Advanced Task Killer. This program works wonders. When you open the program up it will actually select all applications, whether they are running or not, and close them down. Now, I am not sure on this 100% but I have seen in many places that since the Android system is a linux system that having programs running in the background actually does not use much phone memory or battery. Knowing how this works because my computer runs linux, this is true on computers. Some programs though may (I think) use more battery running in background then others such as any program using GPS. I hope that this helps.