GPS question - is it possible to bookmark current location?

a73

Reaction score
question re: google maps/navigation app on the Droid - is it possible to bookmark one's current location? Could be helpful for hiking, marking where you parked your car, or just bookmarking your present position for later use. This is generally a feature in most stand-alone GPS units and I wondered if the same thing was possible with the Droid

pudah

Reaction score
I havent tried it in the google maps app, but there are apps you can use for this purpose.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I beleive the only way to do it in google maps is online....

KiotaKahn

Reaction score
With My Maps Editor you can edit your Google "My Maps" from your phone, and it does allow you to mark and save your current GPS location.

GPS Status also allows you mark your location, but only one at a time. It gives you a Radar-esque view on your bearing and distance, and I believe can be used without a cell signal or wifi, just GPS. So this one may be more useful for marking a campsite or trail head when out hiking.

edited to add:

Almost forgot My Tracks which will track your entire hike, as well as Max/Min/Avg Time, Distance, Speed, and Elevation.

Last edited:
OP
A

a73

Reaction score
I downloaded Car Locator Free and it is exactly what I needed. Though this should be a feature built into android. thanks for the suggestions! I recommend this app

Dan_Droid

Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I haven't found a way to do this yet. Although it is possible to save a Map location to your desktop by doing a long press on the Home screen then going to Shortcuts -> Directions, then typing in an address/location. This is a little cumbersome, but it works.

Ideally, the Maps application should have a bookmarks page just like the web browser does, and when you long press on any location on the map a menu would pop up with a "Save As Bookmark" link. I bet something like this is in the works for a near-future update. It seems like a pretty basic function. I think the Navigation/Maps app was rushed out a little bit too soon so they could include it with Android 2.0 (and specifically the Droid). I have a feeling that they will be adding a lot of missing functionality like this in future updates since the pressure is off now.

Last edited:

KuyaRatho

Reaction score
Semi- Help

This doesn't solve the "My current location" EXACTLY. T book mark a place.

-Go to google maps
-Enter the location (address, business, etc.)
-Click on the little icon
-Then it gives you the details of that spot
-In the top right you will see a grey star
-Click that star to save

-Go to Navigator
-Select "Stared Locations"

You can't really name them (i.e Tom's house) but it can help with places you go often. You just have to remember that "Tom" is on "main street" or something.

Not the best for like having a list of saved friends and such, helps for quick find of stores and such that you go to often. I shall try out that Car finder. thanks for that tip.

Hope this helps, I'm not like a Droid wizard yet, only had it a month. So perhaps this will give others a head start on figuring out a better solution. Thanks Droid Community. ^^dancedroid

les017

Reaction score
Google Maps Address Book from the Market sort of does this pretty well. At your location open the app and save location. It lets you name it, marked either with lat/long or street address, which then gets saved to your contacts. Next tine you wasn't to go there launch Navigation and navigate to that contact.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Perhaps I misunderstand the problem, but here's how I do it:

Of course you have the little blue triangle noting your current position. Tap the blue triangle once and you get a My Location bubble. Tap the bubble and then tap the star. What am I missing?

eliassami5

Reaction score
Perhaps I misunderstand the problem, but here's how I do it:

Of course you have the little blue triangle noting your current position. Tap the blue triangle once and you get a My Location bubble. Tap the bubble and then tap the star. What am I missing?

nothing, thats how i do it. Who said you were missing anything?

rjax

Reaction score
You can't really name them (i.e Tom's house) but it can help with places you go often. You just have to remember that "Tom" is on "main street" or something.

Not the best for like having a list of saved friends and such, helps for quick find of stores and such that you go to often. I shall try out that Car finder. thanks for that tip.

Actually you can rename them -- you just have to go to your Google Bookmarks web page and you can rename starred locations there.