GPS & Maps Questions

KevinJ

Reaction score
(Yeah, I did a search, but there are so many threads that include "GPS" it broke the search function.:icon_eek:)

Last night I was out in the countryside doing some twilight photography. I wanted to know where I was so when I got home I could add the lat/long to my images on my Flickr page. I had GPS Status and Maps apps running, and they both pinpointed my position perfectly. Here's my problem...

I couldn't figure out how to "save" my position on Maps. None of the menu items gave me an option to "save current position to map".

Is there a way to do that, or does someone know of a GPS app that lets you mark your current position (via GPS) for future reference.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out how to "save" my position on Maps. None of the menu items gave me an option to "save current position to map".

EDIT:[After reading more closely, I see you wanted Lat/Long, so I think my suggestions are less than helpful]

Once you click to go to "My location", you can click the location and it will bring up a menu. There is a hard-to-see star beside the address that you can click that will make the location show up in the starred items list. Later you can go to Menu>More>Starred Items when you want to recall these locations.

You may want to go to Menu>More>Labs, and turn on the blue button icon for "My Location".

You have many other options here, but I like to use Google's "My Maps Editor" app:

My Maps Editor by Google v1.1.6 Application for Android | Travel

While in the app, hit the "+" and choose my location. If you have set a default map, it will ask for one to save it to. It will then mark the location with the date and time which you can view from a computer at maps.google.com (after choosing the My Maps option).

On the mobile Google Maps app, you can go to Layers and turn on your "My Maps" layer.

There are also other apps like "Pinpoint" that will allow you to text or email your current location.

Last edited:
OP
K

KevinJ

Reaction score
I downloaded "My Tracks" but it didn't do what I wanted. I was able to set a "waypoint" for my location, but I couldn't see a way to call up the coordinates for it.