GPS patch?

Tadas T

Reaction score
I realize that this is only the Beta for Google Maps and so logically I am wondering if there is any set date for Google to release the full version of the app. Mostly I am asking this because I cannot STAND the lady's voice for some reason, I think its because she sounds like a robot. So I would really like to be able to choose a different voice, a feature available in most GPS systems so I don't see why it would give Google much trouble. I would also really like to see a function that allows you to save destinations, since it would be a lot easier than saying my home address every single time. So is there a patch that might add some new features in the upcoming future?

rosedith

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to the GPS update question, but you can save addresses. I made a shortcut for my home address but you can make one for any place that you go to frequently. Do a long click wherever you want to store it (shortcuts folder?). Then click shortcut and one of the options is Directions. Put in the address and save the shortcut. It's actually easier than opening maps and finding a saved address like you do online. Just click on the shortcut and it starts.

As for the voice, you can change it to a more British sound somewhere in Settings. I call her Daisy Mae Droid and she doesn't bother me at all. We live in an area of a lot of lakes and getting anywhere involves many zigzags. I love that ap!

Erich_F

Reaction score
Also, inputting a physical address into a contact allows you to quickly initiate a Nav-To from within the contacts list. Another option is the My Maps App, which you can mark obscure locations that don't have published addresses. You can access My Maps on the PC too, for pre-trip planning or to just build up your database. My Maps is synced like all the other Google apps on PC and Mobile.

Inundated

Reaction score
Thanks for the shortcut tips!

I actually like the nav voice. It's not bad. I just wish she knew how to pronounce my hometown (Akron).

I would not be surprised if alternate voices are offered in the Market at some point.