GPS Boost?

Schlitzy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to Android phone and functions. I just purchased the Droid X (very happy BTW) and was really attracted to the Google Mapping and Navigation integration as advertised. Went on a 2 hour trek to visit a buddy out in the country, and all of a sudden, the map started disappearing in chunks as I got closer to his destination, and all that was left was my blinking blue triangle, no map, and no turn help... lol

I'm assuming that you have to be within the 3G network(I'm a Verizon customer) or any other providers data network in order for everything to work properly with the mapping at least, since nothing seems to be pre-populated or anyway to pre-populate a route and store it.

I also notice that the GPS is pretty weak IMO, especially in buildings, even near large windows and sometimes tree cover (hiking this weekend).

So long story short, is there anyway to boost the GPS reception or signal at all? I'm more concerned with driving and keeping a reliable Navand Map function. I've seen some other forums like BB and iPhone suggesting tethering with an external Bluetooth GPS devices, etc... I don't even know if that would apply here though.

Is there some sort of device out that would boost your voice/data/GPS all in one in your vehicle? Like a USB plug in deal?

I'm a Weekend Road Warrior and hit some remote locations and would hate to rely on this feature only to be left high and dry with a Blue Triangle and white grid... :)

Thanks all and I hope I posted this in the right area.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your GPS app determines whether you need data coverage or not. Your GPS receiver works just fine without data coverage but it can only provide your location. Anything else (maps, POI's etc) are provided by your app. If you want an app that works without data coverage then you'd need to find one that stores data locally. IIRC CoPilot Live does this.

There are solutions for precaching maps if you're so inclined. I'm not and don't have links handy, unfortunately.

I also notice that the GPS is pretty weak IMO, especially in buildings, even near large windows and sometimes tree cover (hiking this weekend).
What are you basing your opinion on?

GPS (in general -- not just on Android) pretty much requires line of sight to the GPS satellites. You can certainly get a fix indoors and under certain cover but don't count on it. IIRC there are some standalone units that have better reception but there's no way to boost reception on your device.

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your GPS app determines whether you need data coverage or not. Your GPS receiver works just fine without data coverage but it can only provide your location. Anything else (maps, POI's etc) are provided by your app. If you want an app that works without data coverage then you'd need to find one that stores data locally. IIRC CoPilot Live does this.

There are solutions for precaching maps if you're so inclined. I'm not and don't have links handy, unfortunately.

What are you basing your opinion on?

GPS (in general -- not just on Android) pretty much requires line of sight to the GPS satellites. You can certainly get a fix indoors and under certain cover but don't count on it. IIRC there are some standalone units that have better reception but there's no way to boost reception on your device.

not just pretty much............... all gps requires a clear unobstructed view of the sky. Ive even noticed on a really cloudy day it will be slower even when using a top of the line marine GPS on my boat.

Now these phones also have whats called a-GPS which uses cell phone towers to triangulate your position and this will work indoors and under cover from tree's and whatnot.

OP
Schlitzy

Schlitzy

Reaction score
Thank you takeshi and garrett for taking the time to reply and educate me, I do appreciate the info and feedback. I will checkout the CoPilot app and see if I can find others similar to it. Thanks for the a-gps info as well, I'll make sure I'm using that in conjunction as well.

Thanks again!

R

RETG

Although most cell phone GPS units are way underpowered, some stand alone devices, not just Trimbles but also Garmin can obtain a lock on to sats, inside a buiding, without actual line of sight to the satellites.

The 1575.42 MHz signal, is low powered, but the roof of the building, along with the unit will determine what device will lock on. In fact, I constantly lock on to GPS sats with a Trimble unit, inside a Federal Building that has a steel roof. My personal Garmin will lock on in my ranch style home on the first floor, but will not lock on if I'm in the basement.