GPS lock issues

stevo95

Reaction score
I've owned a Droid since November. Initially it was temperamental and needed a battery pull every other day and I was rebooting constantly. The 2.01 update improved things quite a bit and now the 2.1 update has done the same.

One thing which has not really improved is GPS. When it works it is great, but at times it will not lock unless I switch it off. Yesterday even though I switched it off a few times and even did a battery pull, I could not get the GPS to lock and eventually when it thought it had picked up a signal, it had me 700 miles away from where I actually was.

Read a few google solutions, a few people had spoken about uninstalling weather bug which I dont have. Other suggestion was the battery pull which I have already tried and also turn on and off GPS, again which I tried.

Eventually I went through managing apps and emptied the cache of all apps, installed GPS Test and got a lock on multiple satellites, even though I am now sitting in a hotel room (could never get GPS inside before).

I have no idea what fixed it or what caused the problem in the first place, anyone have any ideas? What apps could be interfering in the GPS?

Like most people I have quite a few apps installed - launcher pro, dropbox, touchdown, app brain, beautiful widgets, compass, calorie counter, unit converter, droid coupons, fring, flight stats lite, glympse, goggles (is that a stock app now, cant seem to uninstall), google voice, movies, MSN Talk, Mylock lite, wavesecure, shazam, shop savvy, barcode scanner, shopper, stocks, textplus, tripit, ultrachron, twitter, where, USA today etc

Any apps that may be causing this problem that should be uninstalled?

Thanks

DrElwinRansom

Reaction score
No replies?!

I've got the same issues. I have around 100 MB left in internal memory and about 7.5 GB free on the SD card, so I kind of doubt that's the problem, but my wife's Droid with fewer apps doesn't seem to have this trouble (that I've seen).

Maybe it is with a particular app, but only a couple of the apps you mentioned do I have, and they seem unlikely to cause GPS problems (Google Voice, Goggles, Barcode Scanner, etc.). This is annoying as heck.

One thing that I think helps is to turn off wifi and then switch GPS off/on, and leave wifi off until it locks. I read this somewhere and I think it usually works. Stinks that this is necessary, though.