Apparent GPS Failure

spalding12

Reaction score
GREAT NEWS GUYS!

The VZW people I have been working with have isolated the problem and will have a fix soon, maybe tonight!
They determined that the coordinates that they were reporting was reporting as a negative instead of a positive, throwing everything off 180 degrees, (their quote).

They have already moved me to a VZ only PRL but reccomend to move me back to the hybrid once they push the global fix to ensure good voice quality on calls.
My current PRL is now 65073 and I am able to GPS connect here at my office in Tampa, where I've never been able to connect previously.
I will be doing more testing tomorrow with them and will send another update.
I would reccomend everyone retest their connectivity tomorrow...

65073 is working for all of us now
that is wonderful news

thank you, verizon

spalding12

Reaction score
It lives! Such a simple fix....standing under an Alltel tower right now and perfect GPS. .

All the calls.and emails were not in vain. Thanks everyone

wonderful news for you, too
thanks for the post
all is well
now i can start downloading MORE apps that need GPS..... YIPPEE !!!!!

Tabs

Reaction score
Congrats guys! So if I call VZW and tell them I want the hybrid PRL, they'll do it or do I have to be in Florida? I'd really like to be able to use the VZW towers here...

djc925

Reaction score
YESSSSSSSS it works

I am in Sarasota and have never been able to lock onto the satellites. Did the *228 option 2 and it works great now. My PRL is 40059. I don't believe that has changed, but who cares. Now all facets of this phone work. Thank you to everyone that kept on top of this. I think our efforts have paid off.

crankygypsy

Reaction score
great! i didn't even *228 update and mine is working inside my house with the Alltel PRL (30049).

Ekco

Reaction score
My wife is back from Nepal!!! lol. Her Eris seems to be locking on to GPS now

My Droid is working great also.. I have been picking up GPS inside my House!

PRL# 40059

Thanks everyone for all the emails and calls to Verizon

dirtleg

Reaction score
The GPS started working right around 5:00 PM. I knew it was a tower problem related to them not switching to Alltel towers over correctly thus making the Alltel based towers in the PRL useless for GPS. And the - sign makes sense...180 degrees off would put a person in the Nepal area approximately, or make the phone recognize an error and not work at all. Now I should get about 30 emails tomorrow with all my trouble tickets being resolved! haha.
I knew if we kept on them, that something would happen.
Issue solved as far as I'm concerned. Now this phone is fully functional, and fully awesome.

eslincol

Reaction score
reset gps via browser

I had this problem pop up a day ago. I fixed it by going to the mobile Google maps page in the browser on my Droid Eris and clicking the "launch Google maps" link. It specifies to do that if its already installed on the phone as an app. It reset the location for me. I think this is the full link: m.google.com/maps?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=ghosmm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=map%20quest%20driving%20directions&dc=gm0smm

OP
Narsil

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hadn't been here for a couple days and about crapped my pants the morning when GPS picked up immediately. I haven't changed my PRL or anything.

Thanks Big Red!!

And a big thank you to everyone in this thread who helped bring the problem to light with Verizon!

JerrytheGreat

Reaction score
Yep, after updating my roaming, GPS is now working. there was no change to the PRL version...

BurtB

Reaction score
I got my Droid on the 7th. GPS worked perfectly for 4 days. Flew to Ft Myers for 5 days. GPS never worked once. Back in WI this evening. Works perfectly again. The "former Alltell/SW FL area" problem is confirmed for me.

Back in Ft Myers today. GPS worked immediately, no action needed on my part. Thanks, Verizon

jjgdo

Reaction score
GPS solution

I solved a big issue where GPS was either not working or giving my location in TN when I am in Florida. I used the tool in the Astro file manager to kill all apps, processes and services and that fixed it. Before that I had gone through many efforts and was considering a hard reset - Don't do that when this method keeps your phone intact as you have set it up. After this I also uninstall ed some apps I don't use because clearly something was interfering.