Got yahoo free mail the hard way! Mods please place properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
R

romanrish

Reaction score
Because their can be multiple reasons. Primarily yahoo trying to avoid giving the free mobile email . Also some people have different versions of yahoo and some have granfathered seetings.

MickeyG

Reaction score
I am confused on this as I have two yahoo accts that work fine. Why would they work for me and others and not you?

I know a number of people who have used imap method with no problem. Never worked for me. The only possible variable I have come up with is they have all had their yahoo accounts a loooong time -- like 1997 or so. Mine is much newer (2001).

I have been using the yahoo asia pop connection successfully for over a month. Didn't post it here, though, because I didn't want to make it any easier for yahoo people to find it (and thus shut down). :)

Nupe1911

Reaction score
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! i finally got my yahoo working with this method

tbever

Reaction score
Guys,
I did this one and it works great. FORGET the POP3, Here are the instructions to forcing IMAP to work.

Motorola Droid - Setting Up Yahoo Mail IMAP | Mobile Technology Deals and Help

While that method has worked for some, others have had trouble.

Yeah I was one of those! It really isn't that hard to do, but I am with the one guy who said it shouldn't be this hard to do. It really is nice to have both my Yahoo emails merged on my droid.

Mine was working great using the IMAP method since I first got the Droid in early November. This past weekend it stopped working and starting giving the connection error message. I tried setting it up again, rebooting etc but no go. I went to the ASIA method as described above and it is working great.

If this is all Yahoo blocking Google then this is supreme suckage. I have so much email on Yahoo it is more than just inconvenient to change everything over to Google GMail. BTW I have the Yahoo Plus $20.00/yr and it still screwed up.

Thanks for the workaround. I will send a google voice invite!

OP
R

romanrish

Reaction score
Any more success stories using this method? I want as much feedback as possible because if people are still having trouble I will begin trying to figure another workaround for people who couldn't get it to work this way.

tbever

Reaction score
Any more success stories using this method? I want as much feedback as possible because if people are still having trouble I will begin trying to figure another workaround for people who couldn't get it to work this way.

I did this yesterday and this morning my yahoo "sent" items has multiple duplicate sends. This was the problem that I originally had using the pop3 method on the droid and why I changed to IMAP. Now that IMAP is no longer working I might have to forward them to gmail instead. Also I received about 10 return messages with "out of office autoreplys" indicating that my yahoo email may have sent a bunch of spam messages to my contacts! I don't know if this is my phone doing this or my main PC but something is f'd up!

jcardona1

Reaction score
Just got my Droid today and Yahoo mail worked w/o any issues. I created my yahoo mail account years ago when I first got SBC DSL internet, so my email address is @sbcglobal.net, but it's still a yahoo account. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Anywho, dumb question (maybe somebody can help)...how do I see my contact and mail folders for my yahoo mail? All i can see is the inbox, and when i go to compose a message, i cant find all the addresses from my yahoo contacts... help!

tbever

Reaction score
Just got my Droid today and Yahoo mail worked w/o any issues. I created my yahoo mail account years ago when I first got SBC DSL internet, so my email address is @sbcglobal.net, but it's still a yahoo account. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Anywho, dumb question (maybe somebody can help)...how do I see my contact and mail folders for my yahoo mail? All i can see is the inbox, and when i go to compose a message, i cant find all the addresses from my yahoo contacts... help!

You can see only the inbox if you set up Yahoo mail using POP3 access. If you do the manual setup, you can use IMAP to see all your folders, however for some people, myself included, this has been unreliable. Look at the FAQs thread for the IMAP setup walkthrough. It worked for awhile then stopped working inexplicably after about a month with an error stating invalid username or password.

For contacts, you have to import them into GMail and then they will appear on your phone. It is pretty simple: just go to your gmail acct and look under the settings area, and it is under import (or something similar). AFAIK you can't access the Yahoo contacts folder directly.

On the other hand, I just installed the K9 client yesterday with IMAP access to my Yahoo plus account and so far it works well, but only over 3G and not wifi. (which is fine).

One question for anyone using K9: has anyone had problems with new mail notifications not showing up in the notification bar at the top of the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.